Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-15-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
Mister Ed

Default Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

That surprises me, as I'd always thought that not doing that was a deliberate choice for Munchkin.

Times change I guess. I'll be staying far away, personally, no matter how good it is, as I know from my past history what a huge money sink CCGs can be for me, and I cannot afford to even get started, lest I not stop. That's MY issue, though, not an issue with the product. The notion is...intriguing, I admit.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:13 PM   #2
Damon Griffin

Default Re: Munchkin Collectible Card game?!

As someone who sank untold $ into the purchase of over 6,400 INWO cards, then never got to play more than a handful of games with them....yeah, I'm never making blind/random purchases for a CCG again.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:26 PM   #3
Mister Ed

I might go for a starter set if you can actually play a good game just with that. That could go on the shelf with the rest of my Munchkin as another option. I know that often starters are kind of disappointing in that regard, though. I really like the "Theme Deck" format for Pokemon, which allowed for relatively inexpensive, interesting, and fairly balanced games, when my kids got interested in Pokemon.

Heck, if they did THAT with Munchkin, I'd probably do the same thing I've done with Pokemon, buy each family member a theme deck, and toss a booster pack into Christmas stockings and such for a bit of added variety. With all the versions of Munchkin that would actually be doable (though it doesn't sound like they are going that route).
Old 03-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
I might go for a starter set if you can actually play a good game just with that.
The starters are perfect for someone looking for a Munchkin game for two. You can play with only one of the three different starters. (Which one of the three you select just depends on which class combo you want most.)
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:11 PM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ed View Post
That surprises me, as I'd always thought that not doing that was a deliberate choice for Munchkin.
NOTE: This is an entirely new game. This is a Munchkin game, but it is a new game with new mechanics that are designed for a different play experience. And still very goofy.

Where Munchkin (at its core) pokes fun at fantasy RPGs, the CCG pokes fun at CCGs.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:21 PM   #6
Mister Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Where Munchkin (at its core) pokes fun at fantasy RPGs, the CCG pokes fun at CCGs.
Interesting. That will be a bit more tricky of course, since Munchkin wasn't actually a fantasy RPG, while this onewill actually be the thing it is poking fun at. But I have faith that you can pull off making fun of yourselves on some level. :-)
Old 03-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #7
Damon Griffin

Can't seem to find anything current on this; nothing more recent than something at Renegade a year ago saying to look for it in Fall 2015.

Not that it matters, since I mean to keep far, far away from it.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Jimmy_Melnarik

I'm sorry, did I miss an announcement somewhere?
Jimmy_Melnarik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #9
Mister Ed

It was announced in the Twitter feed from the GAMA trade show...
Old 09-19-2016, 08:14 AM   #10
cosmowove

I had this idea that they could sell boosters of unique cards. I sent a suggestion to Munchkin in 2015... it's happening!
cosmowove is offline   Reply With Quote