Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-17-2021, 10:09 PM   #1
lugaid

Default Path/Book Liches and Wraiths

We've seen a conversion of the Zombie and Mass Zombie spells into a Path/Book ritual (the Command the Bodies of the Dead ritual from the Book of the Names of the Dead, one of the example Books for the system). It seems more difficult to directly convert the Lich or Wraith spells. How would you suggest going about using those in a Path/Book Magic setting? (I'm mostly interested in Effect Shaping, but I'm sure someone else might find Energy Accumulating ideas useful too.) Or maybe someone already did it in Pyramid and I haven't seen that issue yet, in which case I'd be very interested to know which one.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #2
Prince Charon

Default Re: Path/Book Liches and Wraiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugaid View Post
We've seen a conversion of the Zombie and Mass Zombie spells into a Path/Book ritual (the Command the Bodies of the Dead ritual from the Book of the Names of the Dead, one of the example Books for the system). It seems more difficult to directly convert the Lich or Wraith spells. How would you suggest going about using those in a Path/Book Magic setting? (I'm mostly interested in Effect Shaping, but I'm sure someone else might find Energy Accumulating ideas useful too.) Or maybe someone already did it in Pyramid and I haven't seen that issue yet, in which case I'd be very interested to know which one.
Well, Lich is basically casting the Embody ritual (GURPS Thaumatology p160) on your own soul, with the containing item either being your own body, or a soul jar/phylactery empowered to let you possess your corpse (or possibly others, depending on the type of undead you are). Wraith I'm less sure about, but it seems like a complicated Fetish (GURPS Thaumatology p161, including text box).

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 10:52 PM   #3
lugaid

Default Re: Path/Book Liches and Wraiths

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
Well, Lich is basically casting the Embody ritual (GURPS Thaumatology p160) on your own soul, with the containing item either being your own body, or a soul jar/phylactery empowered to let you possess your corpse (or possibly others, depending on the type of undead you are). Wraith I'm less sure about, but it seems like a complicated Fetish (GURPS Thaumatology p161, including text box).
That's an interesting suggestion for Lich. It'd be easy enough to add a requirement for the toxic Lich potion, too. I suppose if I wanted to make it more of a challenge or more of a long-term project I could work up a series of rituals that need to be done, starting with empowering the phylactery or equivalent, but that might not be necessary at all.
lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote