Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
Engurrand

Default Regeneration (FP only)

Does this advantage, by raw, regenerate all lost FP, from any source?
If not, what are the limitations?

FP loss covers a lot of conditions - cold, food, sleep, spells, extra effort etc.

Some thoughts:
Having 1 FP/minute of regeneration from any FP loss would render Doesn't Eat & Doesn't Sleep superfluous (IIRC. Am I forgetting GURPS effects besides FP loss?).

Cold (specifically environmental cold, not superscience or magic cold attacks) is another hazard to which you would become immune. By RAW you roll vs arctic temperatures at most once per 10 minutes (in very strong winds) with stronger winds and colder temperatures penalizing the roll. A failure costs 1 fp and there is no provision for additional FP loss related to margin of failure (unless you're underwater). So at most 1 fp/10 minutes - The 1 fp/1 minute regenerator is immune.

Powers p.70 doesn't share very many words on the subject, what does the forum think?
Engurrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
David Johnston2

Default Re: Regeneration (FP only)

I'd say Regeneration covers everything. It's not like Fit. It doesn't represent anything realistic.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:17 PM   #3
Nereidalbel

Starvation, lack of sleep, and freezing have hazards besides just the FP loss. All regenerating fatigue does for you at that point is insure that you'll be standing until the moment your organs shut down, your brain goes PFT, or your core body temperature drops to a fatal temperature.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
Starvation, lack of sleep, and freezing have hazards besides just the FP loss. All regenerating fatigue does for you at that point is insure that you'll be standing until the moment your organs shut down, your brain goes PFT, or your core body temperature drops to a fatal temperature.
Are those hazards described in gurps though? On what page? My impression from reading basic has been that all of the associated hazards from those things are modeled using FP loss. Sure you have tough problems when you've lost half your FP from sleep debt, but that'll never be a problem if you never get to that level.

I suppose you could keep track of FP lost due to such hazards and apply the associated damages as though the FP lost were accumulating, even though the FP has been regenerated. That way, though you aren't tired from cold, you can still freeze to death. But I don't think that's RAW.

Last edited by Engurrand; 08-21-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
gilbertocarlos

GURPS Powers give that, I think.
Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM   #6
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbertocarlos View Post
GURPS Powers give that, I think.
Which part? Is there more than what's on P.70?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:45 PM   #7
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
I'd say Regeneration covers everything. It's not like Fit. It doesn't represent anything realistic.
Maybe this is a whole 'nother thread, but would you asses a bonus to overland hiking and/or running rate for such a character? If so, what?

What other miraculous feats could this being perform?
Old 08-21-2013, 09:49 PM   #8
Anaraxes

Various hazards state when the FP cannot be recovered, e.g. B426, " You can only recover “starvation” fatigue with a day of rest" or B430, "Recovery of FP or
HP lost to cold requires adequate shelter and a heat source"

I read this as applying to Regen (FP) as well. This sort of FP loss is perhaps better thought of as temporarily lowering your FP cap, rather than just Current FP = Current FP - 1. Raising the cap back requires satisfying those conditions (removing the cause), not just generating FP by rest -- even "super fast resting".
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
gilbertocarlos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engurrand View Post
Maybe this is a whole 'nother thread, but would you asses a bonus to overland hiking and/or running rate for such a character? If so, what?

What other miraculous feats could this being perform?
Fatigue Only: Your ability only aids
FP recovery, as described for Fatigue
Recovery. It has no effect on injury,
and doesn’t include Rapid Healing.
-0%.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Engurrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Various hazards state when the FP cannot be recovered, e.g. B426, " You can only recover “starvation” fatigue with a day of rest" or B430, "Recovery of FP or HP lost to cold requires adequate shelter and a heat source"

I read this as applying to Regen (FP) as well. This sort of FP loss is perhaps better thought of as temporarily lowering your FP cap, rather than just Current FP = Current FP - 1. Raising the cap back requires satisfying those conditions (removing the cause), not just generating FP by rest -- even "super fast resting".
That's completely satisfactory if you interpret Regeneration (FP) as supplying a rate of "super fast resting." But that interpretation isn't explicit.

I'm trying to determine if "covers FP loss due to (insert hazard here)" is a relevant enhancement, or conversely if "doesn't cover FP loss due to (insert hazard here)" is a relevant limitation, and if so, what those should cost.

I have a character with this advantage about to enter play and I expect to see these questions come up.

Tags
fatigue, fp only, regeneration