Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #41
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Re: Very Fit and Spell Fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius View Post
As for having a separate IQ-based "mana pool" for spell casting, I feel like that might give too much of a freebie to mages. They're already likely to have higher IQ than HT, meaning a bigger starting pool. Plus, they can exert themselves without sacrificing spell power, and cast spells without becoming fatigued. This is fitting for many fictional mages, but shouldn't be given for free. They should just buy an ER, perhaps capped at IQ+Magery (or plus a multiple of Magery, if you want it to have more impact).
A fun mechanic would be mages temporarily spending IQ to power spell, their minds becoming clouded and delirious from overstrain. (Obviously at a slower rate than the FP uses in current spells.)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:44 PM   #42
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
Basic, Characters, p.55

Very Fit:
As above, but the bonus to HT rolls is +2.
In addition, you lose FP at only half the normal rate.

Now, how does that help any mage or anyone else whatsoever recover FP?
Ever?
"As above" is a phrase often used to save space and avoid needless repetition. It is a way of saying "what was said earlier applies here as well". In this case, it is saying to apply the same text/rules from "Fit", which includes a line about doubling the rate of FP recovery.

As for myself, this thread is providing answers, but not many good ones. Take lexington's posts, which frankly are confusing me more. Are you agreeing with me, lexington? I am not so inexperienced that I do not realize as GM I am allowed to use as many or as few GURPS rules, as written or modified, as I want to the point I could scarcely justify saying it is a "GURPS" game.

In this case, we have two Advantages, Fit and Very Fit. We know how they are supposed to work in terms of game mechanics. The "explanation" for how/why the Advantage functions as it does fails to adequately explain why it excludes aiding with certain forms of fatiguing activity. Some of the counter arguments make me wonder if the 4e rules for cold, starvation, etc. are screwed up; if you are suffering fatigue due to starvation (for example), you really should also require rest and not just food to recover. Real food is not a alchemical potion to recover FP!
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 03:58 PM   #43
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
f you are suffering fatigue due to starvation (for example), you really should also require rest and not just food to recover. Real food is not a alchemical potion to recover FP!
Does that match your actual real life experience? When you are hungry and eat, do you have to lie down or at least sit still to recover from the effects of your hunger?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:05 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Does that match your actual real life experience? When you are hungry and eat, do you have to lie down or at least sit still to recover from the effects of your hunger?
It's hard to eat while not resting though. I suppose you can suck down those gel-things that runners use.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #45
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It's hard to eat while not resting though..
It's easy to eat quickly though.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:31 AM   #46
Ze'Manel Cunha

Quote:
"As above" is a phrase often used to save space and avoid needless repetition. It is a way of saying "what was said earlier applies here as well". In this case, it is saying to apply the same text/rules from "Fit", which includes a line about doubling the rate of FP recovery.
The point being that even if we change Fit in a given setting so that it helped with Magical FP recovery, Very Fit wouldn't do anything further, there is nothing in VF that helps anyone recover fatigue.
Ze'Manel Cunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:46 AM   #47
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze'Manel Cunha View Post
The point being that even if we change Fit in a given setting so that it helped with Magical FP recovery, Very Fit wouldn't do anything further, there is nothing in VF that helps anyone recover fatigue.
Actual think of it this way a Chi Master with Very Fit, has Chi blast that has level 2 cost fatigue. The having of fatigue cost to 1 FP per use age rolls drop of their Very fit down to fit, now his Chi blast now cost him 2 FP per use.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #48
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
To recover fully, yes!

Eating will remove discomfort of being hungry. "Recovering lost Energy" will vary. We were talking starvation fatigue; if that is an over-arching term that includes feeling sluggish from low blood sugar due to being late for a meal, please forgive me.

Though for future reference... don't ask me to reference my own digestion as I suffer from health problems that mean I am very abnormal. XD Most people I know don't eat something and instantly get back all lost energy... in fact eating (and digestion) is work for your body, and often causes drowsiness. Now break this down relative to Fit/Very Fit. Again, if we are purely talking about a game mechanic and unconcerned about what it is supposed to represent/the "in game" reason why it works, never mind: you can stop reading now.

If Fit/Very Fit is supposed to represent something "mundane" like improved cardiovascular health, then it would logically help any means of FP recovery based upon that. FP expenditures that bypass "natural" means would remain unaffected for the price break of Very Fit... but if (for example) I am a mage not using magic to recover my lost energy, but merely resting and taking in a meal, why should Very Fit not still apply?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:43 PM   #49
JCurwen3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Actual think of it this way a Chi Master with Very Fit, has Chi blast that has level 2 cost fatigue. The having of fatigue cost to 1 FP per use age rolls drop of their Very fit down to fit, now his Chi blast now cost him 2 FP per use.
Very Fit doesn't halve all fatigue loss though, only due to "exertion, heat, etc". Not powers. I'm pretty sure the intent is loss due to "mundane causes", possibly with the exception of loss to starvation, dehydration, and sleep (and maybe more). Is there an official answer, actually, about what fatigue loss is being halved exactly, and what isn't?

Sorry if I misunderstood your point, in case I did.
Old 08-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #50
David Johnston2

Quote:

If Fit/Very Fit is supposed to represent something "mundane" like improved cardiovascular health, then it would logically help any means of FP recovery based upon that. FP expenditures that bypass "natural" means would remain unaffected for the price break of Very Fit... but if (for example) I am a mage not using magic to recover my lost energy, but merely resting and taking in a meal, why should Very Fit not still apply?
The default assumption for Magic is that the the FP expenditure actually represents your internal mana. Being low on mana makes you feel tired. Get your mana back and you recover.

Tags
fatigue, very fit