Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-21-2021, 01:55 PM   #71
Refplace

Default Re: Fantasy Grounds Unity GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post

I think a lot of people greatly underestimate how important time is in cost-benefit analysis. They think something should be simple or easy, so it should be included. But even a simple thing takes time, and time is money.
This.
And its not just true of the RPG industry but most others as well. People underestimate that time is money and when your trying to make money every bit of time means lost money unless that turns into increased revenue.
For many projects we had to deal with scope creep where people would say "since your already working on this thing, why not add this and that also" That added time and cost to projects. Even if it was valuable to the customers (including internal customers) that would result in delays and increased costs that someone had to answer for. I'm not saying it never worked out, but that you were accountable and better be able to show why you took longer and cost more money to do something than initially projected.

Its one reason software documentation tends to be so sparse - its an easy place to cut and can be very time consuming.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 05:48 PM   #72
Gigermann

Time converts to money, but money does not convert to time, sadly :P
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 06:30 PM   #73
seycyrus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I don't see any reason they couldn't. However, it is more work, and asking for more work for no additional compensation seems like a big ask. ...
One could always charge a few extra dollars for the GCA files, or offer them for optional purchase.

In addition, there is great utility in running NPCs through GCA to doublecheck point totals, conflicts etc.

As mentioned previously there is also the fact that having product out there in GCA format will boost the sales of GCA.

Right now, I feel that SJG often counts on the nostalgia and generosity of its fanbase for sales.

In order to get new Gurps sales, SJG has to offer something that new fans and old alike will benefit from. The community is shifting further and further into the online world. Even people who play at a traditional table are often running a VTT on the side for maps, movement and combat trackers.

Unfortunately, right now, I can see myself being hardpressed to buy any new Gurps product if it doesn't help me run my Gurps game on my VTT of choice (Fantasy Grounds).

It feels like SJG is declining to participate, even slightly, in the VTT world.

It's as if a gaming company in the mid 70s decided that they weren't going to publish modules and other gaming aids. I guess SJG ignored the future back then and rode that one out just fine. Can they do it again?
seycyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote play, virtual tabletop