Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #1
DAT

Default Point Cost for a “Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness” System for RATS

If a player has a Human or Bioroid character that wants to go Rambo with a squad support weapon (like a Storm Chaingun), firing from the hip on the move, the answer is to buy a Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness. For those who haven’t looked up a Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness, they reduce weapon ST requirement, the weapon in it counts as braced, and it cancels penalties for walking or running while firing the weapon.

If a player has a RATS character, with integral weapon(s), and wants a similar system as a Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness for their integral weapon(s), what is an appropriate point cost?

Is it a per weapon Perk (Gyrostabilizer) or something more?

Any thoughts?
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 01:32 PM   #2
Phil Masters

Default Re: Point Cost for a “Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness” System for RATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
If a player has a RATS character, with integral weapon(s), and wants a similar system as a Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness for their integral weapon(s), what is an appropriate point cost?

Is it a per weapon Perk (Gyrostabilizer) or something more?
This is, frankly, one of those places where the rules system creaks a bit. Obviously, a set of Innate Attack enhancements that gave you the same benefits as a Weapon Harness could be a bit expensive, and yet those same benefits can be acquired by a human character for mere money (in not too excessive amounts). But then, representing TL10 weapons as Innate Attacks would cost a lot of points too... Which is why combat cybershell templates mostly ended up with a lot of Weapon Mounts and Payloads, onto or into which off-the-shelf high-tech weapons can be installed.

If you're talking about a cybershell with such a mount or payload bay, I'd probably just make sure that they could fit the weight of a Weapon Harness into the relevant mass limit, pay the cost of one off the shelf, and handwave a little. If the cybershell has an actual Innate Attack, though... I guess I'd say that you needed an upgraded shell with built-in enhanced stabilisation, and give that two 1-point perks; "Built-In Bracing" (attack always counts as Braced) and "Fire on the Move" (no penalties for walking or running while firing). ST requirement is of course not an issue here. Yes, 2 points is quite cheap for those benefits, but 'd only allow them in a context like this one.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2021, 08:51 PM   #3
DAT

Default Re: Point Cost for a “Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness” System for RATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
This is, frankly, one of those places where the rules system creaks a bit. Obviously, a set of Innate Attack enhancements that gave you the same benefits as a Weapon Harness could be a bit expensive, and yet those same benefits can be acquired by a human character for mere money (in not too excessive amounts). But then, representing TL10 weapons as Innate Attacks would cost a lot of points too... Which is why combat cybershell templates mostly ended up with a lot of Weapon Mounts and Payloads, onto or into which off-the-shelf high-tech weapons can be installed.

If you're talking about a cybershell with such a mount or payload bay, I'd probably just make sure that they could fit the weight of a Weapon Harness into the relevant mass limit, pay the cost of one off the shelf, and handwave a little. If the cybershell has an actual Innate Attack, though... I guess I'd say that you needed an upgraded shell with built-in enhanced stabilisation, and give that two 1-point perks; "Built-In Bracing" (attack always counts as Braced) and "Fire on the Move" (no penalties for walking or running while firing). ST requirement is of course not an issue here. Yes, 2 points is quite cheap for those benefits, but 'd only allow them in a context like this one.
I appreciate your thoughts Phil.

I could question how much of the "Gyrostabilized Weapon Harness" weigh is 'stabilization' equipment versus 'harness' (just to fit a human body), but we are probably only talking a point or two of payload, which is about the same as the the Perks. So it is probably all a wash in the end.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote