Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-21-2017, 12:46 PM   #1
edk926

Default TL3 Intelligence/Science skills?

So after an extended absence from the rpg world in general called life, I've decided to try to get back into things even though I don't really have anyone to play with right now. That doesn't mean I can't create some themed characters. I've decided to start at TL3, 250 pt characters (because our good pal, Dai, is 250 pts). Since I don't have a specific world for them, they'll be as generic as possible (no quirks, language will be 'home', religion will be 'church', god will be 'me', etc). I can just add the backstory later if ever needed.

Well anyway, I'm planning at least a couple of smart people. Is there a chart showing what would be appropriate intellectual skills for TL3 characters? Like for example, what would be useful skills from the Business Acumen or Artificer or Mathematics or Healer Talents for TL3? What sciences would be around then? etc
edk926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:17 PM   #2
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: TL3 Intelligence/Science skills?

I'm not aware of an organized chart, but most skills (although not all specialties from some of the megaskills) remain valid. The exceptions that come to hand are: Pharmacy (Synthetic), Physician, and optionally Science skills, which may be displaced by Expert Skill (Natural Philosophy). Though Chemistry is used (with some hindrances) in Low Tech and I think you could reasonably have other sciences as well, they're just not institutionalized and rarely if ever taught. Lack of Physician limits the usefulness of Surgery but it does exist.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:39 PM   #3
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm not aware of an organized chart, but most skills (although not all specialties from some of the megaskills) remain valid. The exceptions that come to hand are: Pharmacy (Synthetic), Physician, and optionally Science skills, which may be displaced by Expert Skill (Natural Philosophy). Though Chemistry is used (with some hindrances) in Low Tech and I think you could reasonably have other sciences as well, they're just not institutionalized and rarely if ever taught. Lack of Physician limits the usefulness of Surgery but it does exist.
The other prominent exception to the "Science/Natural Philosophy" rule is Astronomy. Not only was there the Optional Specialization for Observational) (though this is complicated by the lack of telescopes) but there were complex calculations possible. Actually made more complex by the non-Heliocrentric theories.

Mathematics definitely existed and so did a number of Engineering specialties.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:07 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
There is a comprehensive list for science and TL skills in GURPS Powers: The Weird, Chapter 1. There is some less systematic discussion in GURPS Low-Tech.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

As far as intelligence goes Intelligence Analysis probably exists informally, Observation, Cartography and Cryptography all definitely exist. Heraldry is arguably an intelligence skill at TL3 as well.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote