Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #1
JazzJedi

Default Telegraphic Attacks as a default

I love that GURPS Martial Arts introduced Telegraphic Attacks, as this mechanic is clearly a realistic one. From my limited experience as a martial artist (5 years of Karate, 3 years of Kendo, 1 year of Jiujutsu, 1 year of boxing) and from what I've learned from other martial artists, learning to throw non-telegraphic attacks is difficult and takes a lot of training. Untrained people will nearly always throw telegraphic attacks because they haven't learned not to.

It could be argued that Deceptive Attacks can include non-telegraphic attacks, attacks from weird angles, fast attacks, and so forth, and I love this mechanic too. But is there any way to make Telegraphic Attacks the "default" starting point for untrained fighters? Could it be as simple as just adding +4 to everyone's skill and +2 to everyone's Parry and Dodge? This way, if you decide to throw a Deceptive Attack, you can take that -4 penalty to skill and eliminate that +2 bonus to Parry. Are there any better ways to do this, or any unforeseen problems with implementing this?
JazzJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #2
Captain Joy

Default Re: Telegraphic Attacks as a default

I'm thinking it would be easier to simply require untrained fighters to make Telegraphic Attacks and not mess with adding +4 for to everyone's skill…

E.g. Any attacks made using DX or at default are Telegraphic Attacks. Might that simply rule, all by itself, give you what you want?
Captain Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Stone Dog

I think that what most well trained fighters would call a telegraphic attack is probably just an attack without deceptive.

To me a GURPS level telegraphic attack is fighting like Kirk. Big, wide motions with more wind up than a major league pitcher.
Stone Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:47 PM   #4
Maz

Just state that anyone using a skill at default will always use telegraphic attacks. They are going to want too anyway as they wont be hitting anything wothout it.

They mught even make AOA on top of this.

Martial arts have a box somewhere discussing untrained fighting.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Telegraphic Attacks as a default is not realistic for combat styles because Telegraphic Attacks are flashy (nor are they terribly realistic for sports styles because they would make the competitors less effective in competitions). When you are taught a combat style, you are taught effective strikes that rely on force, speed, and precision to circumvent defenses (you are not trained to make it easier for people to defend themselves).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:23 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

This is already the case, see Untrained Fighters, GURPS Martial Arts p. 113. "Anyone may attempt a Telegraphic Attack, in fact untrained are more likely to chose this option."
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 11:19 PM   #7
Lord Azagthoth

I always got confused by the term Telegraphic attack as being an advantage while in real life, it's a disadvantage, a combat flaw which even trained fighters can do when they get tired, uncautious, overconfident and in no way it would explain the +4 to attack. A damage bponus yes, but not a bonus for to hit. The term telegraphic was used in MA becuase the target knows beforehand when and where the attacker is going to hit, like he sent a telegraph to the target with a message, "here I come smashing your nose with full power".

Here's a nice article about telegraphing an attack how to use it and to detect it (http://www.martialinquiries.com/mech...basic-overview)

In another post here, someone said that telegraphing an attack is not the same as Telegraphic Attack.

Dark Lord Azagthoth

Star Wars - TRPG
Lord Azagthoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #8
JazzJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Azagthoth View Post
I always got confused by the term Telegraphic attack as being an advantage while in real life, it's a disadvantage, a combat flaw which even trained fighters can do when they get tired, uncautious, overconfident and in no way it would explain the +4 to attack. A damage bponus yes, but not a bonus for to hit. The term telegraphic was used in MA becuase the target knows beforehand when and where the attacker is going to hit, like he sent a telegraph to the target with a message, "here I come smashing your nose with full power".

Here's a nice article about telegraphing an attack how to use it and to detect it (http://www.martialinquiries.com/mech...basic-overview)

In another post here, someone said that telegraphing an attack is not the same as Telegraphic Attack.
I think it is a disadvantage because it gives the target an extra +2 to defend. It is useful for attacking stunned, unaware, or low-skilled opponents because it does increase the chances of hitting, especially a vulnerable location.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:21 AM   #9
JazzJedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Joy View Post
I'm thinking it would be easier to simply require untrained fighters to make Telegraphic Attacks and not mess with adding +4 for to everyone's skill…

E.g. Any attacks made using DX or at default are Telegraphic Attacks. Might that simply rule, all by itself, give you what you want?
That is a good rule of thumb. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:00 AM   #10
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is already the case, see Untrained Fighters, GURPS Martial Arts p. 113. "Anyone may attempt a Telegraphic Attack, in fact untrained are more likely to chose this option."
This. To give the GM and players a bit more direction, I like to say that anyone facing a 10 or worse TH in melee should probably use Telegraphic Attack (or AOA, though that's often less wise). This doesn't have to be some conscious choice on the character's part; it can be an instinctive attempt to fight with some degree of accuracy instead of wildly swinging at air.

The "should probably" means players and GMs are never bound to choose TA. For a GM, though, it's easy to make TA the general rule any time an NPC or monster faces that lousy TH of 10 or less. (Adjust that number to your liking.) I think near-automatic TA is a great way to game low-DX monsters (like big brutish types, whose wide swings should be relatively easy to dodge), or newbie fighters (including dojo karateka who find themselves in a street brawl, where Karate Sport-11 becomes Karate-8).

The same goes for players of low-TH PCs: Having foes dodge your TA is no fun, but at least the PC is managing to threaten the foe! (Throwing repeated misses that don't even provoke a reaction should be both embarrassing and boring for players.)

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deceptive, telegraphic