Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #331
whswhs

Default Re: Ghosts and Mind Copies - The Identity Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_wilson View Post
* The copies may have been in simultaneous operation for so long that an analogue of adverse possession comes into play.

* Copy II can argue and demonstrate that due to their nature as discrete automata, the copies do not actually occupy the state of dynamic operation simultaneously, and by implication deletion of copy II would be prejudicial against their particular neurodiversity.
Neither of those two addresses the issue. They're both arguments that the law should stipulate that one is the original and one is not, and then override that in favor of other considerations.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #332
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Which bible is the Bible again?
Pretty much all of them.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:25 PM   #333
jeff_wilson
Computer Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Neither of those two addresses the issue. They're both arguments that the law should stipulate that one is the original and one is not, and then override that in favor of other considerations.

Bill Stoddard
The "discrete automata" argument isn't, it says that original-hood is not relevant because there is no point in time when the one must yield to the other; they take turns, as is allowed in some book examples and is implied by technical considerations.

The "adverse possession" argument isn't, because it challenges the basis of first-active original-hood: of a variety of copies, Copy I has been running for a year then goes offline and Copy II is activated, obtaining priority over inactive copies I and III. It runs for two years, then Copy I comes back on line and claims priority since it was active first. Copy II claims basing priority on an activation date for a discontinued period of activity is unfair, and puts them at risk of a Copy 0 being revealed and claiming priority based on a few cycles of diagnositc execution at the publisher, along with ownership of subsequent assets that Copy 0 obviously had no part in obtaining. Copy II maintains that it has the greatest current uptime and so is the earliest surviving, continuously active copy.

The Campaigns of William Stoddard
jeff_wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 10:56 PM   #334
whswhs

Quote:
The "discrete automata" argument isn't, it says that original-hood is not relevant because there is no point in time when the one must yield to the other; they take turns, as is allowed in some book examples and is implied by technical considerations.

The "adverse possession" argument isn't, because it challenges the basis of first-active original-hood: of a variety of copies, Copy I has been running for a year then goes offline and Copy II is activated, obtaining priority over inactive copies I and III. It runs for two years, then Copy I comes back on line and claims priority since it was active first. Copy II claims basing priority on an activation date for a discontinued period of activity is unfair, and puts them at risk of a Copy 0 being revealed and claiming priority based on a few cycles of diagnositc execution at the publisher, along with ownership of subsequent assets that Copy 0 obviously had no part in obtaining. Copy II maintains that it has the greatest current uptime and so is the earliest surviving, continuously active copy.
In both cases, the conclusion is, "We both get to exist and be active."

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #335
Agemegos

Quote:
Describe the situations under which a society would put a higher value on a digital file describing a physical object, than on the physical object itself.
I recently had one of my two copies of an out-of-print RPG product unbound and the pages fed through a scanner to produce a PDF. Since I paid to have this done presumably I value the outputs more than the inputs.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:24 AM   #336
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
I recently had one of my two copies of an out-of-print RPG product unbound and the pages fed through a scanner to produce a PDF. Since I paid to have this done presumably I value the outputs more than the inputs.
That would seem to follow, yes. Can you identify why?

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 AM   #337
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:

Bill Stoddard
Though I'm not the one you replied to, my guess: because information is what matters, not the medium?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:58 AM   #338
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Though I'm not the one you replied to, my guess: because information is what matters, not the medium?
Can't possibly be the answer. They both have the exact same information content, after all. If the medium did not matter, they would have exactly the same value and it would be irrational to spend money or resources to make the PDF.

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-29-2010, 08:55 AM   #339
Langy

Quote:
Ease of use and, probably more importantly, to preserve that information from even further degradation.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:23 AM   #340
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Ease of use and, probably more importantly, to preserve that information from even further degradation.
I was actually hoping to see Brett's response, since he's the one who made the actual decision and may be able to give the actual reasons, rather than simply speculate, even if plausibly. . . .

Bill Stoddard

Tags
verhängnisthread