Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
Skarg

Default Re: Gridless TFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
That's great but someone asked "How do you count MHs?" in reference to my idea for converting a square-grid map to a hex-grid map. This was a follow-up to that discussion.
I think you can use a ruler in all cases, if the reason you want MHs is to measure distances and your players agree it makes sense to use distances rather than MHs. e.g. For TFT ranged attack penalties, you can start in the center hex of a megahex, and mark out the minimum and maximum distances that correspond to the first range band, and agree to take say the mid-point of those as the actual distance to use. Then measure what distance corresponds to 4 MH, etc.

For almost every purpose, once you have a ruler, measuring actual distance is a faster and more accurate approach than counting MH.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #22
platimus

Default Re: Gridless TFT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I think you can use a ruler in all cases, if the reason you want MHs is to measure distances and your players agree it makes sense to use distances rather than MHs. e.g. For TFT ranged attack penalties, you can start in the center hex of a megahex, and mark out the minimum and maximum distances that correspond to the first range band, and agree to take say the mid-point of those as the actual distance to use. Then measure what distance corresponds to 4 MH, etc.

For almost every purpose, once you have a ruler, measuring actual distance is a faster and more accurate approach than counting MH.
Yeah, like I said...that's great. I'm just following up on an earlier discussion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
Measuring (with a ruler or delineated stick) is probably much easier! :)