Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-04-2017, 08:54 AM   #31
Highland_Piper

Default Re: Spell Cards & Powers/Psi

I was thinking of using Zener Cards for the backs of the Psi cards. Or public domain Tarot Cards

Any other suggestions as I don't think the book used for the spells would work with Psi.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 07-04-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The effort of opening 24 PDF files and filling them in myself, with a standard format that all spells should have anyway, compared to the effort of just using Phoenix's spell sheet (which is what I did heretofore) isn't insignificant. So yes, I was being hyperbolic about blank index cards, but IMO just barely.

I also really don't like the attitude of disregarding GURPS Formats and using whatever idiosyncratic notation the player has decided to use, because "spells are all different" (they aren't), which is probably a pet peeve. I really dislike game aids that don't match publications in format, tone, or content.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-04-2017 at 09:43 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:37 AM   #33
Highland_Piper

Not everyone uses GURPS Magic as it is meant to. Some people have expressed a distaste for the Magic rules and use GURPS Powers instead. I'll keep the cards so they are accessible to all no matter how they play.
Old 07-04-2017, 09:43 AM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post
Not everyone uses GURPS Magic as it is meant to. Some people have expressed a distaste for the Magic rules and use GURPS Powers instead. I'll keep the cards so they are accessible to all no matter how they play.
Abilities also have a specific (and well specified) format. Sorcery uses a specific variant of that format. These are also are a different thing entirely than spells.

I guess these are just not going to be useful for me, so unless you change your mind, I will drop out of this.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 07-04-2017 at 12:01 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:38 AM   #35
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
No, but most will use the standard rules, or some variant of the standard rules where the standard layout is useful as a starting point (i.e. all the spells in Dungeon Fantasy use the standard spell rules with some minor modifications). I'm not going to argue this out any more, but I just don't see your aversion to using the standard spell information in your standard layout, especially when it'll all be form fallible and easily edited by the user afterwords anyway.

Quote:
I was thinking of using Zener Cards for the backs of the Psi cards. Or public domain Tarot Cards

Any other suggestions as I don't think the book used for the spells would work with Psi.
Perhaps use some Rorschach images as a background, maybe with Zener symbols superimposed?
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #36
Highland_Piper

On another note I've gotten 5 out of the 8 decks of Manoeuvre Cards I need for the next game.

Picture One

Picture Two
Old 07-06-2017, 08:15 AM   #37
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is incorrect. All spells have a time to cast (even if it is 1) a Duration (even if Instant) and a Cost (even if zero). There is no "Damage" field in the format; it is usually in the description and listed with cost for missile, melee, and jet spells..
If you think you would use them if it had these fields I can re-save them with the fields you indicate but I'd like to make sure we are on the same page because it is a hell of a lot of extra work. However if I do then we both win. The sections, such as Cost, Duration, Time to Cast will be on the cards but if other people want to change them they can just delete it and place what they want.

So Page 1 has 3 empty boxes, I suggest this in order
  • Casting Time
  • Duration
  • Cost

Page 2 has 4 boxes
  • Skill Level
  • Casting Time
  • Duration
  • Cost

Any suggestions from you on the next four pages?
Old 07-06-2017, 12:13 PM   #38
Angle

Is there a collection of generic already filled out cards somewhere? These are cool, but it seems silly to fill out all the information for all out attack - determined myself when my character doesn't actually vary any. Though having blank cards for occasions like that is nice.
Angle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Any suggestions from you on the next four pages?
Prerequisite Count (which makes the cards instantly more useful for Ritual Magic). Maybe Magery level (which can vary on a character, if he has some levels of certain forms of limited Magery).
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 03:09 PM   #40
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angle View Post
Is there a collection of generic already filled out cards somewhere? These are cool, but it seems silly to fill out all the information for all out attack - determined myself when my character doesn't actually vary any. Though having blank cards for occasions like that is nice.
You can use the ones from Warehouse 23 I just don't like the looks of them and I would prefer more information on my cards. I've been forbidden by SJG to upload my full info combat cards so this is the best I can do.

Tags
cards, gurps cards, spells