Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-03-2017, 01:04 PM   #21
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Spell Cards & Powers/Psi

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmervine4 View Post
So my question is, is there a way to get 4 copies of page 2 of the PDF to print out on one piece of paper with the free version of Adobe, or is that beyond the capabilities of this free software? Alternately, is there another obvious option I am missing for getting multiple copies of the same card to appear on one page?
You need to set some options in the Print Dialog Window that comes up when you go to print from Adobe Reader.

In Pages to Print section select the Pages option and print page "4,4,4,4" or whatever page number you want to print repeated four times.

In the Print Dialog there are options for Page Sizing and Handling press the Multiple button. In the option below it for Pages per sheet: select 4. Then in the Orientation below that select Landscape.

Get yourself a PDF Printer such as Bullzip and you can print multiple pages into one file, allowing you to fill out the cards then "print" them as a PDF and compile them into a single file. You can then print that file, as directed above, to get multiple cards per sheet.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-03-2017 at 01:52 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #22
wmervine4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
You need to set some options in the Print Dialog Window that comes up when you go to print from Adobe Reader.

In Pages to Print section select the Pages option and print page "4,4,4,4" or whatever page number you want to print repeated four times.

In the Print Dialog there are options for Page Sizing and Handling press the Multiple button. In the option below it for Pages per sheet: select . Then in the Orientation below that select Landscape.

Get yourself a PDF Printer such as Bullzip and you can print multiple pages into one file, allowing you to fill out the cards then "print" them as a PDF and compile them into a single file. You can then print that file, as directed above, to get multiple cards per sheet.
Genius! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!
wmervine4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:01 PM   #23
Highland_Piper

sir_pudding and aericbsmith I was going to place the standard Range, Casting Time, Casting Cost, etc. but as a few people have pointed out to me not every spell uses those. You however can fill them out and using 'save as' save it the way you want and share it with your players. This was the better option to allow it to be used by everyone. I also can not place specific spell information on the cards as that would violate SJG regulations regarding fan made game aides. Like the core GURPS rules this is a toolkit.

The reason for using a 6x4 note card with a bi-fold is it is a universal size on both sides of the pond, printing cards two sided to match with every printer type is almost impossible, note cards after folded and glued are very sturdy, and as I learned from my Manoeuvre Cards Defence is that you may need them all with just three info panels with just one or two advanced options that I thought required five to six. I can not anticipate every ones needs.
GURPS Mega Dungeons DFRPG Facebook Page
Highland_Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:06 PM   #24
Highland_Piper

I also have Manoeuvre Cards used much in the same way. My players like to use these with miniatures in combat, turns our games 50% RPG, 50% Skirmish tabletop wargame
Old 07-03-2017, 11:39 PM   #25
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post
sir_pudding and aericbsmith I was going to place the standard Range, Casting Time, Casting Cost, etc. but as a few people have pointed out to me not every spell uses those.
They don't? Care to provide an example?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:49 AM   #26
Highland_Piper

Most Animal Spells only use Duration and Cost, Air spells mostly Duration and Cost and a few others with Time to Cast and Damage. So for me to make cards that have permanent labels that fit for each spell could possible range into two or three times the cards that I have currently made. And there would still be one or two people that would say they like to add modifier to the side or some other type of information.

But as I said before write in the labels you want, "Save As" and you will have exactly what it is you want every time.

Personally I use the larger field that sits on top of the left hand column for skill level information.
Old 07-04-2017, 01:01 AM   #27
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland_Piper View Post
Most Animal Spells only use Duration and Cost, Air spells mostly Duration and Cost and a few others with Time to Cast and
This is incorrect. All spells have a time to cast (even if it is 1) a Duration (even if Instant) and a Cost (even if zero).
Quote:
Damage.
There is no "Damage" field in the format; it is usually in the description and listed with cost for missile, melee, and jet spells.
Quote:
But as I said before write in the labels you want, "Save As" and you will have exactly what it is you want every time.
I can do this with index cards. "Write it yourself" means that nothing here is actually useful, just decorative.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 03:48 AM   #28
Highland_Piper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I can do this with index cards. "Write it yourself" means that nothing here is actually useful, just decorative.
I guess what I don't understand is if I place in time to cast, duration, and cost then it is useful but if you type the same fields in and save it you get the exact same thing but it is not useful?

In the end it is an optional game aide, my group enjoys them as they can customise the spells to their individual characters.

*edit*

Just in case there is some communication error you do realise that these pdf's are a form that you can type in what you want and save it how you want? You don't need to hand write the information.

Example HERE

Last edited by Highland_Piper; 07-04-2017 at 03:54 AM.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:59 AM   #29
Bruno

There's three benefits from just scribbling on your own index cards.
1) Form fields.
Your text is automatically reflowed to fit the box, even if you go "oh crap! I need to add this extra note and I filled the space already!"
2) Fillable forms
Your text is typed in, which for some people is The Only Way (I am dysgraphic as an example; no extensive writing for me).
It also gets saved with the PDF, so if someone spills cola on your cards you just reprint them.
3) Pretty with minimal effort
Highland_Piper's done the work to make a nice layout and decoration. If you're not into that then this is less handy, but even plain black and white ones have design go into them that makes them (imo) nicer than just hand writing them.

Last edited by Bruno; 07-04-2017 at 05:59 AM. Reason: I can't count, apparently.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 07:49 AM   #30
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
This is incorrect. All spells have a time to cast (even if it is 1) a Duration (even if Instant) and a Cost (even if zero).
To expound on this, any spell without a Time to Cast listed in the description are assumed to have a casting time of 1 sec. All spells without a Duration listed in the description are assumed to have a Duration of Instant (with the sole exception of Enchantment spells, which have no Duration at all). I don't think that there is a spell in the book that doesn't have a Cost listed in the description. This is explained in the box on p. 22 of Magic and also on page 242 of the Basic Set, and can be confirmed by comparing the spell description to the spell listing from the Appendix Spell Table in the back of the book; the table always lists Duration and Time even if the description didn't.

Quote:
There is no "Damage" field in the format; it is usually in the description and listed with cost for missile, melee, and jet spells.
This is true, and damage is usually linked to how much energy you put into it anyways, so really it's a base damage. Even most area spells can have their damage increased by increasing the base cost.

Quote:
Now this I either disagree with or just don't see what you're complaining about. The form fields can be typed in and saved into the PDF file. The main thing having those fields already filled out does is it 1) makes it obvious that those fields are standard to all spells and 2) it saves someone the time of opening 24 files and entering that data in themselves.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 07-04-2017 at 07:56 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cards, gurps cards, spells