Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 12-03-2018, 08:12 PM   #1
platimus

Default New Dodge and Parry

I find the interchangeable use of the terms "defend" and "parry" in the rules annoying, especially when they sometimes mean "attacker adds a die to his attack" while other times they mean "stop a few hits".

I also think that one should be able to "dodge" non-missile/thrown attacks (from striking, swinging, jabbing weapons).

There's also the wonkiness of "well, he picked the 'dodge' option. i'm going to shoot someone else instead"

So, without further adieu...

(new) Dodge Option (encapsulates old Dodge and old Defend)
You can dodge any physical attack (not just missile or thrown) whether you are engaged or disengaged. You can take no other action on a turn spent dodging. During this turn, attackers add an extra die to their to-hit rolls.

(new) Parry
You can parry attacks from thrown weapons and non-missile weapons. You must pass 3/DX to parry each attack. If successful, your weapon stops a certain number of hits. The number of hits stopped equals the number of die you would roll for your weapon's damage (the weapon being used to parry)(this replaces the 2-hits stopped by Two-Weapon and other talents)(UC stopped hits remains unchanged).

If wielding two-weapons, you can parry AND attack in the same turn -- one with each weapon. This should be handled like making 2 attacks -- the parry replaces one of the attacks. The parry check/roll and the attack roll are penalized as if making 2 attacks. Normally, that means -6 DX to your parry roll and your attack roll. The Fencer and Two-Weapon talents reduce these DX penalties by 4.

If using a main-gauche with another weapon and without the Fencer or Two-Weapon talents, a parry or attack with the main-gauche is at -4 DX and the attack or parry with the other weapon is -6 DX. With the Fencer or Two-Weapon talent the main-gauche attack/parry has no penalty. The attack/parry with the other weapon is -4 DX.

Engarde! :P
Old 12-03-2018, 08:45 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: New Dodge and Parry

How about Dodge is a 4/DX roll as a contest against the to-hit roll of each attacker and acrobatics reduces this down to a 3/DX roll. I.e. agility counts for evading attacks.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:19 PM   #3
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How about Dodge is a 4/DX roll as a contest against the to-hit roll of each attacker and acrobatics reduces this down to a 3/DX roll. I.e. agility counts for evading attacks.
Nice. I like it. I think I'd rather make it 3/DX and let Acrobatics provide a +1 or +2 DX bonus. It doesn't pair well with my Parry but I like it. If I were to use it, I'd want to rewrite my Parry to be similar (I think)(4/DX with weapon talents reducing to 3/DX).

I'm not a big fan of the way contests are handled though. I'd prefer to handle contests like "2d6 + DX versus 2d6 + DX" -- highest total wins. Addition is so much easier and quicker to do in MY head. My head is also less prone to miscalculate addition.

I also try to stay away from contests in combat as it logically invites making everything in combat a contest. Combat already has plenty of die-rolling.

Last edited by platimus; 12-03-2018 at 09:32 PM.
platimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
Helborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
This was specifically excluded from the beginning as being conceptually incompatible. I remember reading SJ on this topic - in the original designer's notes? can't find it now.
Old 12-04-2018, 08:29 AM   #5
platimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by platimus View Post
I find the interchangeable use of the terms "defend" and "parry" in the rules annoying, especially when they sometimes mean "attacker adds a die to his attack" while other times they mean "stop a few hits".

I also think that one should be able to "dodge" non-missile/thrown attacks (from striking, swinging, jabbing weapons).

There's also the wonkiness of "well, he picked the 'dodge' option. i'm going to shoot someone else instead"

So, without further adieu...

(new) Dodge Option (encapsulates old Dodge and old Defend)
You can dodge any physical attack (not just missile or thrown) whether you are engaged or disengaged. You can take no other action on a turn spent dodging. During this turn, attackers add an extra die to their to-hit rolls.

(new) Parry
You can parry attacks from thrown weapons and non-missile weapons. You must pass 3/DX to parry each attack. If successful, your weapon stops a certain number of hits. The number of hits stopped equals the number of die you would roll for your weapon's damage (the weapon being used to parry)(this replaces the 2-hits stopped by Two-Weapon and other talents)(UC stopped hits remains unchanged).

If wielding two-weapons, you can parry AND attack in the same turn -- one with each weapon. This should be handled like making 2 attacks -- the parry replaces one of the attacks. The parry check/roll and the attack roll are penalized as if making 2 attacks. Normally, that means -6 DX to your parry roll and your attack roll. The Fencer and Two-Weapon talents reduce these DX penalties by 4.

If using a main-gauche with another weapon and without the Fencer or Two-Weapon talents, a parry or attack with the main-gauche is at -4 DX and the attack or parry with the other weapon is -6 DX. With the Fencer or Two-Weapon talent the main-gauche attack/parry has no penalty. The attack/parry with the other weapon is -4 DX.

Engarde! :P
I'm scrapping these ideas. I wasn't real happy with the Parry rule. While thinking about how to make it better, I think I managed to understand what is intended in the rules for defend/parry. As I understand it now, I like the official defend/parry and dodge.