Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #31
whswhs

Default Re: What if you replaced all cones with rods?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
20:200 is closer to -6 than -4.
Yes, it is. Mammals seem not to be quite that bad; more like -5, which would be 20:140. -4 would be more like 20:100, which is a little optimistic, but I thought it was close enough for gaming work.

At one yard, that would be about 0.05", which is about 3.5 points typographically. I think that would let you read headline type but not ordinary print. You need to be able to distinguish five adjacent lines to read an eye chart; if each line is 3.5 points then you can manage 18 point type.

There are also issues about discerning people's emotions from their facial expressions. GURPS doesn't talk about the impact of Bad Sight on social interaction, but realistically there should be some penalties.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
There are also issues about discerning people's emotions from their facial expressions. GURPS doesn't talk about the impact of Bad Sight on social interaction, but realistically there should be some penalties.
From experience, there are. I was near-blind from birth to age three, and the ways I recognise people seem to be quite different from most folk. I am readily fooled by a drastic change of hairstyle, for example, and my perceptions of attractiveness have a lot more to do with voice than with vision.

With advancing age, I get to approximately GURPS Bad Sight with contact lenses.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 01:08 PM   #33
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
20:200 (for humans) is legally blind, which might reasonably be a worse condition then either form of Bad Sight (Bad Sight plus a Minor Handicap quirk giving an additional -2 to near or far vision?) .
I know a dog that could identify when far objects were dogs rather than children, etc. from about the same distance as I could. Admittedly, even with glasses my vision is not so great, but I am still human and do fine on tests.
Oddly, her night vision is poor for a dog.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:03 PM   #34
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I know a dog that could identify when far objects were dogs rather than children, etc. from about the same distance as I could.
Your dog was almost certainly using multiple senses, not just vision. We tend to forget about dogs hearing, for example.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:30 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Your dog was almost certainly using multiple senses, not just vision. We tend to forget about dogs hearing, for example.
Not from that distance and it was only when the dog came into view. I could tell mostly from logic; person moving with something smaller behind and beneath them. That pretty much meant dog even if with my vision it was technically possible to be any dog sized four legger.
Old 09-11-2017, 10:37 PM   #36
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Hmm.

The Rod of Silence sounds threatening.
The Rod of Uncertainty seems relatively certain.
An ice cream rod just would not work.

Does that help?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:30 PM   #37
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Legally blind means eligible for compensation as if blind, not being actually unable to see. GURPS bad sight is quite severe, it arguably reaches the definition of legally blind.
Gurps Bad Sight is only severe in worlds without eyeglasses. With eyeglasses it involves no penalties.

With eyeglasses my good eye corrects to maybe 20/60 or possibly 20/80 and the bad eye to 20/200. 20/40 is the cut-off for driving an automobile.

Tags
basic, science, vision