Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-20-2018, 08:18 AM   #1
Ailluminus

Default Gadget Limitations - Cigarette Charm

Hi, all,

I'm creating a power for a character that uses "Grey Magic," or the magic of little vices in a modern-ish game. I want him to have enchanted cigarettes that produce an effect as he smokes them. I've built up the Limitations for this, but I want to make sure that I got them right and didn't forget anything obvious.

I've got as Limitations for the Cigarette Charm:

Accessibility: Must Be Lit -10% (the cigarette needs to actually be lit, and you can't just hold it, meaning that rain, a soaking or absence of fire renders this power inaccessible.)

Limited Use 3 -20% (produces 3 of these charms per day)

Maximum Duration: 10 minutes -50% (Each activation lasts until the cigarette goes out, and then the character has to wait 5 minutes before lighting the next)

Can Be Stolen -30% (They can be stolen... I think this is a LITTLE wonky, because I could simply re-construct the charms the next day, but these aren't Unique, so maybe that tracks. Might need to halve this, based on the setting.)

Breakable: DR 0 -20% (Pretty easy to break cigarettes, by the same logic as Can Be Stolen.)

Altogether, this comes out to -130%, reduced to -80% because that's the maximum it can be reduced. That's a significant modifier.

Is that all correct? Are there other considerations I should make?

Thanks so much, you guys are the best.
Ailluminus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 09:34 AM   #2
Humabout

Default Re: Gadget Limitations - Cigarette Charm

There's also the Nuisance Effect of having a small, moderately bright light in front of your face. Cigaretttes make excellent targets for snipers at night. Also hard to sneak around while smoking.

And don't forget Temporary Disadvantage (Bad Smell) for the rather strong odor that you'll have. You should probably also take a Quirk (Smells of cigarette smoke) that tiggers Intolerances and gives a bonus to tracking you by scent.

And lastly, unless you collect all the burntout butts, you probably have Pact (Trademark (Minor), -5%) a la the Marlboro Man from X-Files, since you leave little bits of distincrive litter behind when you use your ability.

Oh, and if this is a modern setting, there should be an Accessibility (Only where smoking is legal), since you can't just light up anywhere. How much this is worth depends on the campaign location and sprawl. Somewherr like Miami, FL where you can't smoke inside public establishments anywhere would be more restrictive than, say, Orlando, where it is up to the individual establshment.

None of this addresses the associated Addiction disadvantage for being hooked on cigarettes or the health issues. It could very easily justify Unfit, since your lungs are full of soot and tar.

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:36 PM   #3
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Oh, and if this is a modern setting, there should be an Accessibility (Only where smoking is legal), since you can't just light up anywhere. How much this is worth depends on the campaign location and sprawl. Somewhere like Miami, FL where you can't smoke inside public establishments anywhere would be more restrictive than, say, Orlando, where it is up to the individual establishment.
I don't think that is a Accessibility. You can use them anywhere it just might cause problems. But if you are doing typical adventurer things the fact that you lit up a cigarette while breaking into the building and getting in a gunfight with the guards doesn't really make a difference.
dcarson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 05:31 PM   #4
Ailluminus

This is great information, great suggestions. I'm not desperate to add more Limitations to the build; at -130%, dropping down to -80%, I'm already paying only a 5th of the cost for the ability.

That's good stuff, Humabout, about other things that could be added to a power to reduce the cost and better mimic the mechanics of the in-setting logic.

I think, depending on the concept, setting and in-game logic, the social context of smoking COULD be a significant limitation... and, frankly, it might affect my character at some point.

I'm not eager to make that case with my GM, as, well, he might get testy if I'm scavenging to make my powers... overpowered.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #5
Ailluminus

Though, I might say it's less Accessibility, and more Temporary Disadvantage: Reputation.