Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-02-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
larsdangly

Default Re: Sell Me on The Fantasy Trip

TFT is to most modern rpg core books as playing chess is to reading a 300 page book about chess. It is a game, engineered to be about having a great experience at the table rather than to satisfy a philosophical game design goal. It is one of those games that you might read and immediately think of 80 different house rules to fix this or fill in that, but if you just play you discover it is immersive, fun, competitive...basically what you wish all your other games were like.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:33 PM   #12
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

If you want to see how TFT compares to GURPS, the new PYRAMID issue Dungeon Trips has dungeons and characters that are dual-statted for both systems, and also has GURPS DF monsters converted to TFT and TFT monsters converted to GURPS.
Old 08-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #13
JLV

To say nothing of articles from two of our favorite contributors right here on the Forums! (*ahem* David Pulver and Chris Rice!)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #14
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
To say nothing of articles from two of our favorite contributors right here on the Forums! (*ahem* David Pulver and Chris Rice!)
As there could be some confusion, would that be Christopher R. Rice (who I believe used to be listed on the forums as Chris Rice), or Chris Rice (newer user, I think)?

Edit: Opening my copy, that would be Christopher R. Rice.
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #15
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjard View Post
As there could be some confusion, would that be Christopher R. Rice (who I believe used to be listed on the forums as Chris Rice), or Chris Rice (newer user, I think)?

Edit: Opening my copy, that would be Christopher R. Rice.
No, he's the fake Chris. I'm the real Chris!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
larsdangly

Another important insight to those fresh to TFT: In its heart of hearts it is a board game, which gives it a different feel from most other tabletop roleplaying games. This is the source of its strength as a system for fights and tactical-scale (e.g., dungeon) exploration, because the rules are naturally developed to let you quickly resolve all sorts of actions in the mode of 'hex and chit' board games. It's a very different design concept from the way most roleplaying games approach these issues. They tend to be more vague about concrete questions of who is where and what happens when, but also have a greater volume of rules to contend with, simply because they are 'bigger' games overall (more character traits and options, etc.). So, TFT is tighter and more concrete, while also being faster playing.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:53 PM   #17
gpoehlein

I think GlennDoren and Larsdangly pretty much hit it on the head. The main selling point are the two basic games: Melee and Wizard. Both are very solid man-to-man (or wizard-to-wizard) combat board games that can provide hours of play on their own. On top of that are the solitaire adventure. If you don't have a group to play, or don't have a game master and you and a friend or two want to adventure, the solo adventures are a perfect outlet. Since both Death Test and Death Test 2 are included now in the Kickstarter, you will have lots of play value right there. And once you've played with the board games and the solo adventures, In The Labyrinth fleshes out the experience. Because of its simplicity, there are endless possibilities for play with this system. As a game designer, TFT has influenced a lot of my designs over the years.

If you know any old line gamers (from the late 70s or early 80s), check around. One of them may very will have a copy of at least the microgames or maybe even the books. If so, sit down with them and play a couple game of Melee or Wizard. You can play a round of combat in just a few minutes - one reason they were so popular back in the day was that either game fit in your pocket and was a quick enough play that high school or college students could play a game or two during their lunch period.

In any case, give it a try - I really don't think you will be disappointed.

Last edited by gpoehlein; 08-02-2018 at 06:56 PM.
gpoehlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 05:45 AM   #18
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein View Post
If you know any old line gamers (from the late 70s or early 80s), check around. One of them may very will have a copy of at least the microgames or maybe even the books. If so, sit down with them and play a couple game of Melee or Wizard. You can play a round of combat in just a few minutes - one reason they were so popular back in the day was that either game fit in your pocket and was a quick enough play that high school or college students could play a game or two during their lunch period.

In any case, give it a try - I really don't think you will be disappointed.
I totally agree. Pssst, hey man, the first one's freeeee...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:30 AM   #19
flankspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAT View Post
.... So why should I be interested in TFT?
When would I run it rather than DFRPG, GURPS DF, or D&D 5e?
What special does it bring to the table/my GM toolkit?....
To me, TFT provides a game system reminiscent of GURPS but with a 5th Edition D&D-esque level of ease of learning, elegance, depth, and house rules flexibility.

The Advantage mechanic gives D&D 5e a simple, elegant way to eliminate the mathematical complexity of numerous die roll modifiers. TFT offers something similar by rolling 3D6 vs an attribute to hit with an attack, cast a spell, perform a task, or make a save.

There are still some straight-up modifiers to an attribute roll, such as +2 DX for a flank attack, but if your character is extremely likely to succeed at a task due to skill or circumstances, they will generally roll only 2D6 vs their attribute.

Conversely, a lack of appropriate skill or the presence of extreme disadvantage may force a character to roll 4D6 vs the appropriate attribute. There are situations where either of several skills may apply to a roll, but in some ways TFT implemented an advantage mechanic long before D&D.

Advantage: roll 2D6
Normal: roll 3D6
Disadvantage: roll 4D6 or more

TFT gives me easy to learn character creation with plenty of room for roleplaying and doesn't pigeonhole characters with class-based straitjackets. Combat has enough detail that you know where characters are, how far they can move, and how much they can do in one turn, but battles flow smoothly and feel tactical.

I'm not sure if you want to look at external sources for input, but here are a bunch of links I collected to offer people who want to know more about TFT:

SJG YouTube videos about TFT:

Character creation for Melee combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Mt5jLbn0Q

One-vs-one Melee combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__WfyvyQVEM&t=4s

Three-vs-three Melee combat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMmCHVO41MM

TFT Q&A with Steve Jackson: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wP0jFWymuzc

Non-SJG links about TFT:

RPG.net interview with Steve Jackson about TFT: https://www.rpg.net/columns/intervie...rviews72.phtml

RPG Geek news page on the KS for TFT: https://rpggeek.com/thread/2032375/f...on-kickstarter

Be Bold Games video interview with Steve Jackson about TFT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_I-3V05-Lho&t=3s

Jim Murphy video on "The Fantasy Trip: Should You Get It?": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVnrGKyFwv8

Geek Gamers videos on "The Fantasy Trip: How to Create Your Own Solo RPG":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XHTgUiFfPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmmscEqKcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmA-bbP76I0

Last edited by flankspeed; 08-03-2018 at 11:17 AM.
flankspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 08:26 AM   #20
Tolenkar

I would just point out two things that I thought were important with creating a great TFT experience back in the early 80's (and I think are still relevant):

Easy to learn: I just don't mean for the GM. It was key that you can have someone that is only vaguely familiar with RPGs make a character up for an adventure in only a few minutes. It is very easy to get someone quickly into the adventure. There were plenty of times when someone's character got killed in an adventure and they were able to create a new character, on the spot, and were back in the game the same night. I created a D&D character recently and it took a separate session, about two hours just to make one character.

Flexible: This concept is embedded in TFT. There may be other RPGs out there now that have given players options, but TFT really was the first comprehensive system to do that with character creation. There are only two classes, Fighter & Wizard, and even with those, you can crossover and combine skills and spells. The emphasis is on the story the GM creates. Our group loved this and the creation of adventures and worlds seemed pretty easy. the structure is just enough, and comprehensive enough, so that the GM does not have to invent everything. Combat is the most structured (it gives a clarity that I think is important in resolving situations) without getting bogged down. It is fast and decisive so that the adventure can get on.

In one sound bite: It is easy to play for all but allows for a depth of adventure mastery and story telling.

I hope this helps. In my opinion, you really can't go wrong. If budget is your concern, pledge the PDF level on the Kickstarter and try it with some friends. I'm sure you will be seeing TFT on the shelves at some point and can pick up more later. That, also, was one of the strengths of TFT: modularity... you can grow into without a lot of initial outlay.

-Tolenkar

Tags
the fantasy trip