Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-01-2018, 08:04 PM   #1
DAT

Default Sell Me on The Fantasy Trip

I went from D&D/AD&D/Gamma World/Traveller to GURPS, never having played TFT. So I don’t have the nostalgia element I know many other folks have.

These days I mostly run GURPS, with a little D&D 5e on the side.

So why should I be interested in TFT?
When would I run it rather than DFRPG, GURPS DF, or D&D 5e?
What special does it bring to the table/my GM toolkit?

I ask because I am interested in the Kickstarter, but have a number of other potential draws on my funds, and don’t want another game to just sit on my bookshelf and collect dust.

Thanks in advance for your insight/input.
-Dan
DAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: Sell Me on The Fantasy Trip

It is super-fast to learn and to play. If nothing else, you can use it for when a key player or two doesn't show up for a GURPS game but everyone else still wants to play something fantastic.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

I did play TFT back in the day. Mostly, I played Melee and Wizard rather than the advanced versions which were tricked out as a full-fledged rpg. What would you want them for? They're a solid skirmish combat game. TFT plays easily, but there's enough stuff you can do with it that it stays interesting. If you're happy with GURPS, TFT may not be enough to move you to another game system, but the smaller component games are hard to beat.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
GlennDoren

If you enjoy GURPS, I think you owe it to yourself to try TFT. TFT shares some similar DNA--things such as hex-based tactical combat; simple/elegant character system and combat/magic system. However, it also provides a very quick character creation process--unlike GURPS.

But, more than anything, I'd recommend you give it a try because it makes a great co-op and solo boardgame, even if you dont use it as an RPG. The 2 included programmed adventures, Death Test 1 & 2, will give you a good play/pay ratio. And there will certainly be more to come (whether via SJG, based upon the success of the kickstarter and comments made in the forums, or by fans).

TFT found a great balance between fast/elegant and meaty/strategic. It's just so much fun resolving battles using its tactical combat/magic system.
GlennDoren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:48 PM   #5
Buzzardo

It's fast both to play and to pick up. If a key member of your group doesn't show one day, you can play a quick game of TFT. If a key player is an hour late, you can make characters and have a good arena fight in that time. It can be a quick filler between other games or an RPG in its own right. In other words, its strength is that it fills a bunch of niches, from quick arena fights to full campaigns.

I play (and GM) GURPS, too. TFT won't replace that. But it might give us something to do on off days, and it's a good game. (I played it way back when.)

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
JLV

I'd like to offer a suggestion, if I may, rather than just tell you how much I like it.

Go to this link: https://rpggeek.com/thread/2032375/f...on-kickstarter

There are a number of us "old heads" on there who have tried to answer exactly this question from a gamer in the UK who was kind of in the same boat as you are; never played, wanted to know why he should. While I don't know if that will help you decide if you might like it, it will at least explain why WE like it, and maybe that will give you some insight into making your decision.

At the end of the day, I think it really comes down to what kind of things you want from a fantasy RPG, and only you can decide if TFT will work for you. TFT is fast, fun, intuitive, and surprisingly deep as a roleplaying experience. I honestly think it comes from the fact that the rules are so simple (which does not mean "trivial") and intuitive that they just seem to get out and stay out of your way while you're playing -- so you spend a lot more time on the fun and the story than you do with other rule-controlled games, but you still get the advantages of having a great set of rules to guide you through the play. And combat is an absolute hoot! Best tactical combat you'll get, in my admittedly biased opinion; not because it's such a great simulation (honestly, GURPS is a much better "simulation" of combat), but because it's fast-moving, exciting, very cinematic, and a tremendous amount of fun. And you won't spend four hours playing out a five-minute fight.

Hope this helps!
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #7
Jim Kane
Banned

DAT - Steve Jackson addresses your exact question HERE on the video footage from last week's live Q&A. Your question is addressed at the 9:00 minute mark on the video timeline.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 AM   #8
Skarg

I started with TFT in 1980 and moved to GURPS when it came out in 1986, and still generally prefer GURPS because I like lots more crunchy detail, but TFT is still a sentimental favorite, is really an elegant design that is much easier to learn (especially compared to the GURPS 4e rulebook because of all the stuff in it).

I would recommend TFT because it is easy to learn and quick to play and offers a nice abbreviated (compared to GURPS) perspective and has some fun content and a really nice campaign book and usable fantasy setting. It's a GREAT game to teach and hook new players with.

It's also a great game to show people why hex map tactical combats add a whole other dimension to play that makes combat a fun game unto itself. Some people play GURPS combat without maps, which coming from heavy TFT experience, I will never think isn't a huge mistake.

Even when I run crunchy GURPS settings, my fundamental thinking comes from roots in TFT and the In The Labyrinth campaign book.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:11 AM   #9
DarkPumpkin

There's mechanical reasons to play which have been mentioned, but I'd like to point out the flavor. It's a very breezy sword-and-sorcery thing that is perfect for a GM to hang his world-building on. Not too heavy and detailed but it seems just set up for adventure and exploration. Compare DFRPG (which I own and like) - the atmosphere just is not a big selling point for that more crunchy game.
DarkPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:36 AM   #10
Chris Rice

I don’t like rules to get in the way of roleplaying, that’s why I prefer TFT to other systems. As I said on the KS page:

There is only really one game mechanism you have to get in your head:

"Roll 3d6 under Attribute to succeed (if you have the relevant skill/Talent). If you don't it will be 4d6 or more."

That's it in essence. It's very easy to get familiar with and can be used for every situation.

I don’t have to look up rules or tables or rummage through files.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
the fantasy trip