Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 01-14-2018, 01:41 PM   #1
Oneiros

Default TFT - Game Accessories

I was wondering a couple things regarding table top accessories for playing TFT in the modern age. I guess this is both asking if such things exist, and a wish list for TFT when the new version comes out.

1) Multi-hex bases for miniatures. For a giant or dragon, are there any companies that currently create miniature bases suitable for hex maps, with two, three and four hex arrangements? (A 7 hex for big dragons might be asking too much). Either flat for regular miniatures or slotted for Cardboard Heroes would be great.

Could this possibly be something SJG might produce for TFT (especially since it would also be suitable for GURPS/Dungeon Fantasy?)

2) Durable mat with mega-hexes. Along the lines of a vinyl Chessex battlemat. Does such a thing exist? I don't know if any other games even use the mega-hex concept, so I'm thinking not. But I'd love to have a 3'x4' mat like the ones I currently use but with mega-hexes already printed on it. (Assuming the new TFT version still uses mega-hexes.)

3) When's TFT getting its own sub-forum? ;)
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 03:10 PM   #2
Steve Jackson
President and EIC

Default Re: TFT - Game Accessories

All I can say now is that those are not invalid ideas. If someone specializing in battlemats wanted to do a megahex map, I'd listen. OTOH, if you are into making and painting big miniatures, creating a specific base is probably not much of a challenge. Laser cutter if you want to machine it, Sculpey if you want to sculpt it, probably lots of other options depending on what you work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
(Assuming the new TFT version still uses mega-hexes.)
Now that's an interesting point. Are the megahexes really useful, or do they just make the maps nonstandard?
Steve Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:27 PM   #3
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
Are the megahexes really useful, or do they just make the maps nonstandard?
I used a wet-erase battlemat that did not have megahexes, so I just counted hexes instead. It isn't onerous, and it makes standard hex mats/boards usable. A really nice wet/dry erase magnetic hex mat would be a great addition to a TFT boxed set.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:45 PM   #4
Chris Goodwin

Megahexes would certainly call it out as being for TFT for sure. Maybe a dot to mark the center hex of each megahex; the marking becomes unobtrusive but still there.

I've started a subreddit for discussion of INWO and Illuminati. Check it out!
Chris Goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #5
K Peterson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneiros View Post
1) Multi-hex bases for miniatures. For a giant or dragon, are there any companies that currently create miniature bases suitable for hex maps, with two, three and four hex arrangements? (A 7 hex for big dragons might be asking too much). Either flat for regular miniatures or slotted for Cardboard Heroes would be great.
The only ones that I'm aware of are produced by Litko Games Accessories, and those are only 2-hex arrangements and they seem only available in 1"/~25mm.
K Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 06:50 PM   #6
tomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Megahexes would certainly call it out as being for TFT for sure...
I like megahexes. It feels strange to me to play TFT on a plain hex map.

Freedom of Speech is not Freedom of Podium
tomc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:14 PM   #7
larsdangly

It's worth questioning the value of MH, but I'm 'pro'. I particularly like the idea of using MH as a way to make range and area calculations quicker and more visually obvious.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:44 PM   #8
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Peterson View Post
The only ones that I'm aware of are produced by Litko Games Accessories, and those are only 2-hex arrangements and they seem only available in 1"/~25mm.
With just a little work in Tinkercad, you can 3d print your own multi-hex bases.
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 07:48 AM   #9
Oneiros

I like using minis, but not a big mini builder/painter myself. Fortunately, others I game with are moderate fig collectors, so we generally have what we need. When I need more, I have used Cardboard Heroes, Pathfinder Pawns, and plain ole dice. I also keep a Bag O' Zombies!!! in my DM bag that see a fair amount of use.

Of course, most of the larger figs are designed for square grids, with square or round bases. That's why I'd like to see the multi-hex bases for hex based games, and would really like Cardboard Hero compatible versions. (A 5-hex long CBH dragon would look awesome.)

After doing a bit of searching, I think the simplest home made approach would be to take existing single hex fig bases and glue them into the various multi-hex configurations. To make them CBH compatible, it'd be easy enough to glue a CBH (or Pathfinder Pawn) base (or two) on top.

Many hex bases I see though have slightly sloped edges. Any recommendations for hex bases with flat vertical sides, for better contact when gluing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
Megahexes would certainly call it out as being for TFT for sure. Maybe a dot to mark the center hex of each megahex; the marking becomes unobtrusive but still there.
The dot mark on a regular mat is a great idea. Use a permanent pen, and you've got a dedicated TFT map. (Braver souls might even trace out the mega-hex borders in permanent marker.)

As for usefulness, I also like the quick visual calculation mega-hexes give. Again, would help my own GURPS averse players, who didn't like the range/speed calculation involved for ranged combat.
Oneiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:31 PM   #10
JLV

Quote:
All I can say now is that those are not invalid ideas. If someone specializing in battlemats wanted to do a megahex map, I'd listen. OTOH, if you are into making and painting big miniatures, creating a specific base is probably not much of a challenge. Laser cutter if you want to machine it, Sculpey if you want to sculpt it, probably lots of other options depending on what you work with.
But, thinking in terms of Cardboard Heroes, such bases would be a wonderful addition...

Quote:
Now that's an interesting point. Are the megahexes really useful, or do they just make the maps nonstandard?
Personally, I find them extremely useful for what I assume their intended purpose was -- figuring missile weapon range effects. I also find them useful for mapping, believe it or not, feeling that a 10' square is pretty close to a megahex, and a 5' square is pretty close to a single hex (not as close, but still a useful guide). In short, I'd hate to see them go away.

(Slightly off-topic, but still at least tangential...) Finally, didn't someone do a "conversion" thing where they showed how to convert megahexes into squares at one time? That might be a very useful tool for helping convert mapping into grid paper for buildings and the like, while simultaneously retaining the advantages of hexes for combat and range calculations. (I can't find it in my files right now, but I distinctly remember the author dealing with odd room shapes, corridors, T-intersections, and so on.) And hexes are enormously important to TFT's tactical combat simulation -- without them it not only wouldn't be the same, it also wouldn't work nearly as well.

Last edited by JLV; 01-16-2018 at 12:35 PM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
game accessories, game aids, tft, the fantasy trip