Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-29-2017, 07:05 AM   #31
Dave Crowell

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

I would say, yes, it is definitely worth the effort to run a game. Multiple people are posting that they continue to use their old sets to play games. I have a group who I think would take to Melee and Wizard for arena style games like a duck takes to water.

I don't think it would be just the nostalgia of a few geezers any more than Ogre is.
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 07:54 AM   #32
Chris Rice

Everyone I've introduced it to has taken to it quickly and really enjoyed it. I think if it's officially reborn it could become quite popular, especially if we have some shiny new books and support materials. I really want a GMs shield!!!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:04 PM   #33
Shostak

TFT is very quick to learn, so getting from zero to playtime would be very short. I know there are others will disagree (maybe even SJ himself), but, from my experience, TFT is a pretty good GURPS Light. I played it for years before GURPS came out, and when I got GURPS (1e) it was a seamless transition.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 12:51 PM   #34
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
Okay, just to spoil the fun:

Would it be worth the effort to run a game?

Or would it be more of a collector's item, satisfying the nostalgia of a few old geezers?
I'll defer to Carnifex's answer below.

Last edited by JLV; 12-30-2017 at 04:17 AM.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #35
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Everyone I've introduced it to has taken to it quickly and really enjoyed it. I think if it's officially reborn it could become quite popular, especially if we have some shiny new books and support materials. I really want a GMs shield!!!
The official one was pretty good.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 04:56 PM   #36
Carnifex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Beckenstein View Post
Okay, just to spoil the fun:

Would it be worth the effort to run a game?

Or would it be more of a collector's item, satisfying the nostalgia of a few old geezers?
I think you are asking a valid question. The short answer is yes to both, those two things are not mutually exclusive.
Carnifex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #37
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The official one was pretty good.
Yes it was -- though unfortunately I didn't acquire a copy until about five years ago! ;-)
Old 12-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #38
JLV

A person named Jsnead over at RPG.net had this suggestion:

"That's awesome. My ideal would be a mildly tweaked and improved rule system (specifically including rules for buying additional talents and spells w/o having to increase INT), maybe a few more talents and spells, a bit more info on Cidri, and that's pretty much it. If the kickstarter did well, a SF version would also be wonderful."

Frankly, I think that describes what I would want in an ideal world as well. Steve has the opportunity to tweak the system now, and it would be a shame to "waste" it, but massive re-writes wouldn't be either necessary or desirable IMHO. And Jsnead cuts right to the heart of what I actually think DOES need tweaked. So count my vote for the above, as well!
Old 12-30-2017, 02:31 PM   #39
Dave Crowell

Having used Classic Traveller to run a fantasy campaign once, I don't think it would be difficult to produce a science fiction version of TFT.

The difficulty would come in that lazer ray guns have a tendency to vapourize people they hit!
Dave Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:08 PM   #40
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Having used Classic Traveller to run a fantasy campaign once, I don't think it would be difficult to produce a science fiction version of TFT.

The difficulty would come in that lazer ray guns have a tendency to vapourize people they hit!
Actually, you should wander over to Dark City Games and check out their free download of Time and Space -- their TFT clone's Sci-Fi version -- I've been buying the Sci-Fi programmed adventures as money permits, and enjoying them very much, but the basic rules are free and would get you well on the way...

They also have some old west rules, Untamed West; which, alas, they only have one programmed adventure for, but are very well done too. Mind you, there are differences between their rules and TFT -- fairly significant ones -- but they're easily understood and used.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard