Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-08-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
Terwin

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Breath Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I consider the only realistic applications of meditation to BE breath control; relaxation and focus. Breathing more efficiently is silly. It's not a skill any more than digestion is.
Deliberate deep breathing does indeed help one recover more rapidly after exertion. I have done this myself on numerous occasions.

Conscious control of your breathing starting before you start exerting yourself can also extend your endurance.

It is not even hard to extend your endurance after you start breathing heavily by taking control of your breathing to make it deeper and and more regulated.

As a child I often took advantage of deliberate breath control to help me stay under water longer for example.

If you do not control your breathing, it is not hard to get out of breath when you exert yourself(say running or jogging), but if you take control of your breathing pattern and make it more effective for your current and expected level of exertion, you can exert much more energy in the same period of time with less respiratory distress.

One of the things that had the most impact on my ability to run/jog for long periods was an over-heard comment about how many steps/paces someone was managing to take per breath. This got me thinking about my breathing while I jog, and that has made a tremendous difference in both speed and distance.
Terwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
basic, breath control, skill of the week