Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-13-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Hurinironhammer

Default GURPS Boardgame Aspects

I have always been interested in that part of GURPS which said that it could be used as a stand alone board game of man to man combat. Melee/Wizard The Fantasy Trip was my second RPG system (yes, Melee/Wizard were not really RPG's in and of themselves) and I loved it. TFT was a blast! When a friend told me that GURPS was similar I always intended to take a look at it, but never did, playing a lot of ICE's Middle Earth Roleplaying, Star Fleet Battles, and eventually OGRE MINIATURES. I bought GURPS 3E specifically for the OGRE GURPS supplement. My hope was to play a BATTLESUIT like miniatures game, using various GW and Starship Trooper minis, since, sadly, there are no Cardboard Heroes for GURPS OGRE. Never quite worked it out to completion for a variety of reasons. The point of this post is to ask if anyone else has focused on the board game aspects of the GURPS and if they have what settings do they use, and what support materials, miniatures, house rules, or whatever they utilize. Just curious.
Hurinironhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
jacobmuller

Default Re: GURPS Boardgame Aspects

If you're looking for power armoured troopers, Arion Games SF Soldier#3 is alright. They're very similar in format to Cardboard Heroes.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Default Re: GURPS Boardgame Aspects

GURPS is clearly derived from Melee/Wizard/TFT. It's been a long three decades and four editions of GURPS, but you'll see some things that look familiar.

Many people play "arena" games, using the tactical combat rules to try out different tactics.

You might be particularly interested in Martial Arts -- which is actually the advanced combat systems details book, not D&D kung fu monks. Also, GURPS Martial Arts: Gladiators.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battlesuit, boardgame, gurps, ogre, the fantasy trip