Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-18-2018, 12:15 AM   #11
Alden Loveshade

Default Re: Things to do with GURPS Banestorm

Over 20 years ago, a couple friends and I started an overarching campaign that began in Tredroy. It's pretty much "by the book." It branched out to touch on a campaign based in Davenford (a city a group of us created) in Megalos in Strategicon conventions (Orccon, Gamex, Gateway) in Los Angeles.

We've had several GMs (six in Strategicon). A GM who's currently running a sub-campaign in Tredroy wasn't even born when we began!

We're keeping the campaign in real time, i.e., right now it's October 2018 in Yrth. I got to play the 18-year-old son of my original PC on Yrth, which was pretty cool.
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
Prince Charon

One of my ideas for Yrth, the one I've put the most work into, involves people living in another continent, far to the east of Ytarria. Some of them came via Banestorm, but others sailed across the sea due to having too many enemies on Ytarria, and being lucky and/or good enough to avoid being killed by the journey. Now, in the twenty-first century, they're advanced enough that they might be able to come back...

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 AM   #13
maximara
On Notice

I used Yrth as a vehicle to bring the GURPS Magic system to my AD&D1 campaign.

The backstory was that a group of adventurers managed to get themselves to Yrth and promptly discovered their magic didn't work correctly or at all.

Then they found that there was a form of magic on Yrth that didn't match any they were familiar with.

After surviving a decade on Yrth the Magic-User of the group had managed to learn and cast a Gate spell returning them home.

The new form of magic they brought back with them became known as "flexible" magic and hundred years later it became very popular.

The biggest plus was you never forgot your spells (or had to pray for them if a Cleric) but the downside was the spells weren't as powerful as those native to the D&D world and barring special items tired the caster.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 11:24 AM   #14
Gigermann

Our Banestorm campaign (in "Book II") included an alien invasion and counter-invasion, and an encounter with (sort of) Greek gods.
Gigermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #15
Astromancer

Yrth has a few options...

Everybody says, "Go big or go home!" But Caithness gives you a go small option. You can make a reasonable simulation of Bree or the Shire and play out adventures that fit the parameters of English, Irish, Welsh, or Scots, folklore. The witch that transforms into a rabbit or a fox and steal her neighbors' milk would be a serious foe/threat for a group of 75 point PCs from the local village. A mean bear could be a scary foe for a group of three to five PCs of that level, especially if the apprentice mage has mainly practical work spells and nothing in the way of serious attacks.

Another option is to seek routes to the unknown sections of Ytarria. Either by sea or land. This would be a dangerous adventure and could play out several different ways.

Explores could go off the map. Ytarria giving the group a solid history/background, take them to another land were other peoples were brought to Yrth by the Banestorm.

Technology is the witchcraft of Yrth. Being inquisitors hunting down secret inventors and the people who seek their innovations could be fun. Or flip the script and be radical inventors out to liberate humanity for mindless drudgery and useless toil!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:51 AM   #16
Black Leviathan

I ran a Yrth solo campaign where my player had amnesia (No character sheet) and he gradually discovered that he had a lot of atypical military and technology skills. Eventually he found that the Banestorm was a doorway to parallel Yrths and he had been a security expert for a faction of "strangers" that were trying to stop the spread of Orks through the Banestorms.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
a humble lich

I have wanted to run a Banestorm game where the PCs are all residents of a small modern American town, and the entire town gets pulled through a Banestorm. The town is placed deep within orc lands. The game would start with a After the End feeling where the players try to figure out where they are and how to survive in this new world as the town is now cut off from food, power, petrol, and other supplies. Then once the powers of Yrth find them, there would be some political maneuvering.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #18
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a humble lich View Post
I have wanted to run a Banestorm game where the PCs are all residents of a small modern American town, and the entire town gets pulled through a Banestorm. The town is placed deep within orc lands. The game would start with a After the End feeling where the players try to figure out where they are and how to survive in this new world as the town is now cut off from food, power, petrol, and other supplies. Then once the powers of Yrth find them, there would be some political maneuvering.
You could have a Dark Elf with an eye to the main chance find them. He could give them a twisted worldview and real help. Let the Dark Elf's motive be fear that Elven society will be destroyed. He has no racial issues. Humans are a problem in his eyes but only when they try to dominate Elves. He sees a secret hidden town of high tech humans as a resource to manage with respect and care.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote