Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-06-2018, 10:10 AM   #811
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: The Fantasy Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
Certainly worth looking at but I'd like to get my priest system finished and tested before trying to connect with other stuff! :)
That's exactly what I meant. I am hopeful you guys will be able to get your material together on the front-end, to a presentable first-draft stage, then we can see if the back-end might integrate or not; or if it even has a place.

Either way this could be a very exciting project.

JK
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:49 PM   #812
JLV

Sounds to me like we are on the verge of creating a "religion splat book" for TFT that Steve Jackson might be willing to consider as a publishable item at some point!

;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:03 AM   #813
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Sounds to me like we are on the verge of creating a "religion splat book" for TFT that Steve Jackson might be willing to consider as a publishable item at some point!

;-)
I'd love to see TFT splatbooks of any kind!
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 11:54 AM   #814
JLV

Personally, I'm hoping for a lavishly illustrated Bestiary, and a Guide to Cidri as the first two of many... ;-)
Old 06-07-2018, 02:55 PM   #815
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Personally, I'm hoping for a lavishly illustrated Bestiary, and a Guide to Cidri as the first two of many... ;-)
That would be fantastic! I'd love to see some weird areas in Cidri that don't line up with traditional fantasy, too.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #816
JLV

If you don't get the Daily Illuminator, you should -- they have a first look at the new Wizard cover! It's totally different from any of the previous ones, but I like it!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 AM   #817
Rick_Smith

Default Unusual campaign settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zot View Post
That would be fantastic! I'd love to see some weird areas in Cidri that don't line up with traditional fantasy, too.
Hi Zot, everyone.
I once ran a campaign based on these oceans of powered salt. Players moved around on these ice boat type ships with sails. Water was hugely rare and valuable, and players moved to islands of rocks which stuck up, out of the salt ocean.

Almost all of these were abandoned fortresses filled with monsters and loot. A race of gargoyle like creatures had wiped out the people long ago, but had vanished for some reason, so the players were on the forefront of taking back these abandoned areas. The bosses in the fortresses were the slave races and the animated mechanical contraptions left by the fliers. Returning with news of a new island / fort with a good well, was very profitable. Competing lords wanted to buy info on how to get to them, and expand their influence.

Each fortress had a limited amount of water, so it might support a half dozen, 3 dozen or 4 score people. The better the well, the more valuable it was.

That campaign was short lived. (Players got too much loot too quickly, and I ran out of ideas.) But it was a lot of fun while it lasted.

I bring this up because I would LOVE to see some really unusual campaign settings for new TFT.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-27-2018 at 07:22 AM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 05:17 PM   #818
David Bofinger

I've played in lots of odd campaigns. Sometimes I think we were competing to be odd. Many weren't great successes.

One that springs to mind was a world which was covered in flora that was inedible and outcompeted Earth-style flora. There was no way you could protect a farm from encroachment by the other life. Fortunately there was a truly stupendous creature built like a combine harvester, that would eat the entire forest and what came out the back end was sterilised. So the PCs' culture lived on these things, protecting them from parasites, and planting fast-growing crops like kudzu in its wake.

The first adventure was trying to save a girl from being killed as a witch. She'd discovered cockroaches were still hanging on in the forest and could be eaten. It ended with the players finding a way to steer the creatures and form them into fleets that could support much larger communities. It was successful enough that the players requested a sequel, set a few generations later when fleets of creatures were common and contact was being made with the intelligent life of the dominant life system. That was less successful.

Quote:
You have travelled far
Through places stranger to us both
Blinking in unaccustomed sunlight

You are not welcome here
So sit among us in our home
We who cannot sit
And have no home
And are also unwelcome

You wish to see our dances?
Have your eyes still not adjusted to the sight of the sky?
Our dance is the endless march
Along the thinnest line
That separates life from extinction
That covers our world

We are the mobumeca
The people of the slug lineage.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 PM   #819
JLV

I'm not entirely sure what thread to put this under, so I'll resurrect this one from the long ago to do it:

Dark City Games has just released their latest adventure; Echoes of the Old Ones, which is actually a three-adventures-in-one mini-campaign. As usual it is expressly designed to work with TFT and GURPS (they specifically state that in the game booklet), as well as with their own set of rules Legends of the Ancient World (LAW).

I just got it today, so I haven't had a chance to run through it, but it looks pretty good at a first glance (and without spoiling it by reading through the numbered paragraphs). Perhaps somewhat surprisingly, it even seems to have a possible tie-in with HP Lovecraft -- which is a bit unusual given that it's set in their mythic continent as usual (see Fire in the Streets for details of their campaign world).

Anyway, just thought I'd let this crowd know that a new solo adventure (which you can also play with a GM and friends, of course) is now on the streets.

Tags
in the labyrinth, melee, roleplaying, the fantasy trip, wizard