Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-27-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Turns and defending

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not View Post
So when somebody asks, "whose turn is it?" the correct answer is always, "why, it's everyone's turn, of course!" Or do you mean what most people mean when they say "turn" in playing a game, that so-and-so has the opportunity to take some action and the other players don't? GURPS can be faulted for using the word "turn" rather differently than normal people.
You have a turn in GURPS. It's meaningful to say "It's your turn". GURPS doesn't have "a round", and it's not meaningful to say "What round is it?"
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #12
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
You have a turn in GURPS. It's meaningful to say "It's your turn". GURPS doesn't have "a round", and it's not meaningful to say "What round is it?"
You notice the word round doesn't appear in my post.

The explanation given above (which I think is correct) is that the rules use the word "turn" in such a way as to mean that at any given moment in time it is turn n for one player and turn n+1 for another, but that the turns overlap. That's not the way that most games have it! Chess, Pachisi, Backgammon, Snakes and Ladders--in each of these a turn is a discrete thing that ends where the next begins.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 07:52 PM   #13
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
=
The explanation given above (which I think is correct) is that the rules use the word "turn" in such a way as to mean that at any given moment in time it is turn n for one player and turn n+1 for another, but that the turns overlap. That's not the way that most games have it! Chess, Pachisi, Backgammon, Snakes and Ladders--in each of these a turn is a discrete thing that ends where the next begins.
Lots of games have lingering effects from choices made on your turn, though. That's how it works in GURPS.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #14
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Lots of games have lingering effects from choices made on your turn, though. That's how it works in GURPS.
Granted. I'm sympathetic to the original poster though. I had to read the rules several times because the word "turn" meant something different to me. I don't have an alternative word to suggest.
Not is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 11:40 PM   #15
the_matrix_walker

As we generally go around the table, I refer to it as a "Rotation."
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #16
jacobmuller

Quote:
GURPS can be faulted for using the word "turn" rather differently than normal people.
Chess, Pachisi, Backgammon, Snakes and Ladders--in each of these a turn is a discrete thing that ends where the next begins.
I'll grant you Snakes&Ladders - any given players turn only affects another if that turn took them to the finish square {unless you're using a "landing on my marker has a negative impact" option; or evens up, odds down}.
But chess, backgammon and pachisi (ludo): your move or turn may be over but it alters the choices of your opponent. Your move overlaps their turn by presenting openings or blocking moves.

I call "them" Turns, eg Turn#3, player#1 goes first, but what he can do may depend on what the other player/s did after him in Turn#2... Just like chess, backgammon and pachisi. Or any turn based board game where your move can affect the preceding or following players actions. Risk, Monopoly, Shogun, Hammer's Slammers, Squad Leader, Dragon Pass, StarFire, just to name some of what's sitting around me.

GURPS uses Turn just like 90% of other games - it matters like it does in chess, unlike my favourite RPG, or a vast array of others, where the turns are more like Snakes&Ladders.
Hang on - I've just insulted my favourite RPG* by likening it to Snakes&Ladders:D And almost certainly every other RPG I've ever played. Thank you,
Daily I learn more of the true awesomeness that is GURPS.
*after-thought: it isn't like S&L; you are allowed to defend yourself during the opponent's turn. Which makes it the 2nd best RPG system I know of.

Last edited by jacobmuller; 04-28-2013 at 08:14 AM.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:20 AM   #17
fifiste

Bruno your first post was awesome. Special mention goes to your ascii graphics :D. Really made everything clear. If I ever need to explain this stuff to players (or sometimes even remind to myself I'm gonna look at this post)
fifiste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:51 AM   #18
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
oooh, Bruno's gittin bossy! ;)

(I hope you have had your coffee before reading my tease!)
Sorry, I hope I didn't come across as snappy :( I'm trying to cut down, but that's absolutely no excuse! [1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
That's kind of hard for me. Once I integrate the stuff into my mental "GURPS OS" it's not always easy to remember where those updates came from!
I sympathize! The first half was to clarify it for the OP that this was stuff from another book, before they started wondering how they missed that in the Basic Set :) The second half was poorly worded.

[1] I've broken down and decided to wean myself off instead of going cold turkey.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:54 AM   #19
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifiste View Post
Bruno your first post was awesome. Special mention goes to your ascii graphics :D. Really made everything clear. If I ever need to explain this stuff to players (or sometimes even remind to myself I'm gonna look at this post)
I can't really take credit - I'm sure I saw someone make an ascii diagram of the concept before, here on this very forum. It's been "remixed" in my head a little I'm sure, but basically my entire explanation is a derivative work of... whoever it was. Probably Kromm. :D
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
active defense, dodge, turn