Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #41
Agemegos

Default Re: Why is Broad-Minded a Quirk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
You seem to be completely forgetting the nature of what is advantageous and disadvantageous for characters in a roleplaying game context.
And you seem to be overlooking the fact that in GURPS 4e, a quirk is not necessarily a disadvantage. Dig out a copy of Characters, check p. 162, and then get back to us.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #42
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
That's not the relevant perspective. The appropriate one is from the perspective of whether a PC has more and/or easier choices.
Yeah, if it weren't a quirk, that would be true.

As it is a quirk, it only has to suggest a subset of choices without forbidding any. Which it does.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #43
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
And you seem to be overlooking the fact that in GURPS 4e, a quirk is not necessarily a disadvantage. Dig out a copy of Characters, check p. 162, and then get back to us.
Not at all, and not in the least. I'm quite clear on that. I made that point earlier, up the thread.

A quirk is not supposed to be advantageous though, either, and that's the problem with Broadminded.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:02 PM   #44
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Not at all, and not in the least. I'm quite clear on that. I made that point earlier, up the thread.

A quirk is not supposed to be advantageous though, either, and that's the problem with Broadminded.
What does Broadminded let you do that you couldn't already? It doesn't add any capabilities, obviously, and "not broadminded" is not a mental disadvantage.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:04 PM   #45
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
What does Broadminded let you do that you couldn't already? It doesn't add any capabilities, obviously, and "not broadminded" is not a mental disadvantage.
I refer you to the description in Characters. As I mentioned, no specific mechanics are provided, but the description contains only beneficial features. As described, it should be a perk, not a quirk.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:22 PM   #46
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
I refer you to the description in Characters. As I mentioned, no specific mechanics are provided, but the description contains only beneficial features. As described, it should be a perk, not a quirk.
It absolutely can't be a perk, since perks by definition have beneficial mechanics.

It's impossible for a non-mechanical quirk to contain beneficial features. The so-called benefits of Broad-Minded are all things that a non-Broad-Minded character could do just as well, so there's no actual benefit. One could argue that there's no detriment, but as established that isn't required for a quirk.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:38 PM   #47
Ragitsu
Banned

Hm, can Broad-Minded be a 0 Point Feature?
Old 10-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #48
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragitsu View Post
Hm, can Broad-Minded be a 0 Point Feature?
There are criteria to qualify as a mental quirk are in two bullet points on B163. I'm not sure if Broad-Minded hits either of the possibilities.

On the one, it could be argued that it requires a specific choice on your part from time to time. I'd let it by under that, but it's debatable.

On the other, it doesn't say anything about giving any penalty ever. It calls itself a trivial form of Xenophilia, but it's taken a disadvantage that only dictates roleplay in narrow circumstances in the first place and slimmed it down...does it still make the cut?

I'd say on a list that includes Habits or Expressions, Likes, and Dislikes (telephone solicitors), Broad-Minded is fine...
Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM   #49
David Johnston2

Quote:
I refer you to the description in Characters. As I mentioned, no specific mechanics are provided, but the description contains only beneficial features.
It doesn't contain any beneficial features.
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #50
Phil Masters

Quote:
Attentive is another Perquirk -- a slightly less useful Single-minded that you get a point by taking!
-3 to notice stuff when working on any sort of long task? It really shouldn't take much of a killer GM to make that downright life-threatening.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Closed Thread

Tags
broad-minded, broadminded, perks, quirks