Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default Accessory Perk: Tripod?

Greetings, all!

I've got this weird idea of a biological or cybernetic augmentation that would allow one to 'deploy' into a 'stance' in which joints are locked in such a way as to provide superior bracing for a heavy weapon. In effect, getting the benefits and drawbacks of a Tripod (complete with a 180-degree firing arc, and a 3-second setup/teardown time). But I wonder if it is balanced, as tripods seem to have a very significant cost and weight, and they out-perform many levels of Huge Weapons (ST) under a limited set of circumstances.

What do you think about it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #2
NorphTehDwarf

Default Re: Accessory Perk: Tripod?

I'd say 1 point might be a little too low. I'd figure out the tripod's cost based on the closest weapon in weight and recoil from High Tech (or maybe Ultra-tech if it's TL9+), and then price it as signature gear in addition to one point for the Accessory. It might be cheaper just to get Extra Arm (Weapon mount -80%) though.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:19 AM   #3
David Johnston2

The crude jokes that leap to mind...
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
tanniynim

I'd probably let it go as an Accessory Perk, depending on the character, just for ease of use. However, you listed 3 seconds up/down. There's also a 3 second attach/detach for the gun. It would have to take 6 seconds up and 6 seconds down for the Perk since it seriously decreases the ability to use at will.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:42 AM   #5
Figleaf23
Banned

I'd be inclined to rule against this one on the grounds that Accessories are not supposed to be weapons. This seems pretty close to that line -- though I'd permit it for use strictly with non-weapon equipment.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #6
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
I'd probably let it go as an Accessory Perk, depending on the character, just for ease of use. However, you listed 3 seconds up/down. There's also a 3 second attach/detach for the gun. It would have to take 6 seconds up and 6 seconds down for the Perk since it seriously decreases the ability to use at will.
I meant 3 seconds to 'attach' the weapon (in truth, the weapon stays held with both hands). Turns out there is no info regarding time to set up the tripod itself. My intent was to mimic the time it takes to set up a heavy weapon with a tripod.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:58 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figleaf23 View Post
I'd be inclined to rule against this one on the grounds that Accessories are not supposed to be weapons. This seems pretty close to that line -- though I'd permit it for use strictly with non-weapon equipment.
Interesting interpretation. IMO it is a weapon no more than the standard collimator on a rifle. (IIRC Kromm allowed collimators to be taken as Perks.)
Old 06-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #8
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
I'd say 1 point might be a little too low. I'd figure out the tripod's cost based on the closest weapon in weight and recoil from High Tech (or maybe Ultra-tech if it's TL9+), and then price it as signature gear in addition to one point for the Accessory. It might be cheaper just to get Extra Arm (Weapon mount -80%) though.
Yes, a tripod is expensive - $1,250, assuming a non-automated version. In fact, I wonder why it costs so much. Good thing is that it doesn't seem to require specialization by weapon.

But regarding Extra Arm (WM -80%): how does that help with firing ST:18M weapons without having ST 18?
Old 06-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #9
tanniynim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh View Post
I meant 3 seconds to 'attach' the weapon (in truth, the weapon stays held with both hands). Turns out there is no info regarding time to set up the tripod itself. My intent was to mimic the time it takes to set up a heavy weapon with a tripod.
"Setting up or collapsing a tripod typically requires six seconds. Attaching or detaching the weapon takes a further three seconds." HT p160

From that reading, I'd actually rule 9 seconds up, 9 seconds down. Not 6/6 like I said earlier.

Along with no movement, seems pretty fair for only giving braced + Ignore strength requirement. If this was an attached accessory, I might even give big penalties to dodge.
tanniynim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanniynim View Post
"Setting up or collapsing a tripod typically requires six seconds. Attaching or detaching the weapon takes a further three seconds." HT p160

From that reading, I'd actually rule 9 seconds up, 9 seconds down. Not 6/6 like I said earlier.

Along with no movement, seems pretty fair for only giving braced + Ignore strength requirement. If this was an attached accessory, I might even give big penalties to dodge.
I wonder how long does it take to set up or collapse a TL9 tripod.

Anyway, I am now tempted to just grant 5 levels of Huge Weapons instead. Though it will probably change them from one-man heavy weapons teams to all-around heavy units.

Tags
accessory, perks, tripod