Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2009, 10:53 PM   #161
Trachmyr

Default Re: Are proliferating perks a danger to GURPS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd
Modular Abilities, Cosmic Power, Mental and Physical, 25 points capacity [500] would be one way. Excessive, but I think it would have to circumvent any rules limiting number of Perks.

Of course it's hard to call this abusive when you paid 500 points for it, but I'd bet more limited versions (to allow you to say, pick any 3 Perks with some limitations to make them changable with modest effort) could start looking iffy. The best 3 perks for some situations might be "worth" a good chunk of the 15 or so points such a Modular Ability would cost, depending on the limitations chosen, and given you can reconfigure for any such combination if there's some warning....
Actually I have implemented a modular ability using a perk in a racial template. It was 'linked' to racial memory, and allowed the character to use the Dabbler perk only, albeit 2 copies. After a new memory recall, one dabbler perk could be reorganized.
Trachmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #162
Figleaf23
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6
That it may be a bone of contention among some sectors of the GURPS fan base, it isn't a bone of contention among the designers. So if you are going RAW, ICWIC is not the way GURPS works. Furthermore, simulation above everything else is also not the way GURPS works. Note this comment by Kromm in a post on decapitation:
(http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...2&postcount=15)

You who want a different GURPS than what we've got may house rule. But we have a system that balances simulation, drama, action, balance, playability, and fun...and I think it does it brilliantly. I don't think GURPS is broken. There are only a couple things here and there that are a bit wonky, IMHO, but Perk costs are not one of them, nor is the price for Combat Reflexes.
Perhaps all true, but I don't really worry about any of that, or I object to it. To each their own, I guess.

Last edited by Figleaf23; 05-31-2009 at 06:25 AM.
Figleaf23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:54 PM   #163
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo
I'd be ready to bet that if somebody on this forum proposed a Perk like Shield Wall Training *before* it was published on Martial Arts, 90% of those who now insist it's not underpriced would have said "That Perk is too powerful, Perks are for minor bonus, SWT grants +2 to attacks! Look at the Perks on Basic Set for comparison".

It's adamantly clear to me that published Perks have become more and more powerful (compare Basic Set to Martial Arts to Magical Styles), not for 'game balance' reasons but to make new books more attractive.
I agree that some Perks would never have been accepted without the "official" imprimature of SJ games. In many cases, I think that's a good thing. "Off hand weapon training" is the poster boy here, because "off hand weapon training" as a technique was clearly broken.

By the way, you missed the most glaringly-abuse-potential-ful perk in Martial Arts: Technique Mastery. Buying Technique Master (Counterattack) and then buying up the Counterattack technique for my skill to +4 costs what, 7 points for a +4 to attacks? Yes, please. I would require a *very* good explanation to allow this technique for any style--why is it so much harder for you to attack someone who hasn't just attacked you?

Note that my bias is definitely against "points-as-balance." If you just give me a point budget and let me spend it, it's too easy to come up with M.U.N.C.H.K.I.N. or a 30-point 300d Innate Attack with unlimited range. That's one reason I love the Styles in Martial Arts and the "1 perk per 25 points in skills" rule-of-thumb: it's a form of balance which doesn't rely purely on point budgets and which passes my plausibility test.

-Max
sjmdw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 04:44 PM   #164
sjmdw45

Quote:
E.g., let's say you are a "fantasy scout" with various skills at DX+1 or better. With 4 points you can either a single skill by 1 level (Bow, Riding, Tracking, Stealth, whatever) or buy Night Vision 2, Strongbow and Magical Weapon bond (bow).
Except that Advantages can't generally be gained during play, without in-game reasons. So there's no comparison to be made here.

-Max
Old 04-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #165
sjmdw45

Quote:
I am also charging *less* for some traits that are really badly written or badly priced, e.g. Speak with Plants, Chameleon, Silence,Clinging, Cultural Adaptability, Daredevil, Gunslinger, Pressure support, Walk on Liquid or Unaging (that is *totally ridicolous* at 15 points).
If somebody is interested I can share my "revised trait list" with the changed costs.

The more rules you change, the less it is "GURPS", of course...
Sure, I'm interested.

-Max

Tags
perks