Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-20-2013, 01:51 AM   #1
Rowan

Default [Disadvantage Question] Lame

I'm curious about the -10 point Lame disadvantage. It mentions in the text, that the player will need to reduce their movement score by half, and that they get points for that too?

If a character has move 5, and 1/2 their move is 2.5, what do they need to buy their move down to? Move 3 or Move 2?

Any help's appreciated, thanks. :)
Old 06-20-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
SCAR

Default Re: [Disadvantage Question] Lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
I'm curious about the -10 point Lame disadvantage. It mentions in the text, that the player will need to reduce their movement score by half, and that they get points for that too?

If a character has move 5, and 1/2 their move is 2.5, what do they need to buy their move down to? Move 3 or Move 2?

Any help's appreciated, thanks. :)
The text for Lame says: "You must reduce your Basic Move to half your Basic Speed (round down)", so a Move of 5 (assuming a Basic Speed of less than 6) would round down to 2.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 AM   #3
CoyoteGestalt

That actually reminds me of a related question I've been wondering about. "You must reduce your Basic Move" implies to me that you can't buy it back up later, but I'm not actually certain.

What about someone who acquires the disad in play, and who has already bought up their Basic Move? E.g. they have Basic Speed 5.5 and Move 6, do they reduce their Basic Move after their injury to 3 or 2?

What about characters who get a Move bonus or penalty from a racial template? Or with Gigantism or Dwarfism? Do you factor those bonuses or penalties before or after halving?

(This came up for me recently when trying to design a Lame halfling minstrel for a fantasy game - I realized that depending on what order it was done in, the character could end up with a final Move of 0, which seemed inappropriate.)
CoyoteGestalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:45 AM   #4
SCAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteGestalt View Post
That actually reminds me of a related question I've been wondering about. "You must reduce your Basic Move" implies to me that you can't buy it back up later, but I'm not actually certain.
I would assume that is the case.
Considering the maxim: 'A disadvantage is not a disadvantage if it does not disadvantage you in some way' - getting points for being Lame, and then using those points to bypass the restrictive effects of Lame would seem to violate that.

I dare say you could apply a Limitation to Lame (Does not reduce Move, -%?), reducing the value of the Disadvantage - but you're GM is probably going to want a pretty good explaination.

Quote:
What about someone who acquires the disad in play, and who has already bought up their Basic Move? E.g. they have Basic Speed 5.5 and Move 6, do they reduce their Basic Move after their injury to 3 or 2?
Lame reduces Move to Half Basic Speed (round down), so half a Basic Speed 5.5 would be a Move of 2.
You don't usually get points back for disadvantages acquired in play.

Quote:
What about characters who get a Move bonus or penalty from a racial template? Or with Gigantism or Dwarfism? Do you factor those bonuses or penalties before or after halving?
I would probably assume that the effect of Lame becomes a Limit, so if you have a Basic Speed of 6, and you're Lame, your Move cannot be higher than 3.

Quote:
(This came up for me recently when trying to design a Lame halfling minstrel for a fantasy game - I realized that depending on what order it was done in, the character could end up with a final Move of 0, which seemed inappropriate.)
Assuming the character is not sessile, then minimum Move is 1.
SCAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:41 AM   #5
malloyd

Quote:
I'd say you can, but it effectively costs twice as much. The intent of Crippled Leg is not really modifies your Basic Move, but "halves your ground speed". That's all Basic Move is *supposed* to be, but there are at least a few rules that use it for something else anyway, and Lame may or may not reduce it for those purposes, you'll have to evaluate the logic separately.