Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-01-2017, 08:16 PM   #71
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: What Do You Want For Yrth

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
Honestly you could drop modest sized medieval principalities in the blank spaces on the maps of the existing states. The problem with Yttaria isn't that it's too small, it's that the states on the map are ridiculously big. It's a bit under 2000 miles from Megalos to Sahud, roughly as far as from say Rome to Baghdad. Or Timbuktu. Keyhole Bay is at least comparable to the Aegean Sea. Bilit Island is larger than Ireland. The Blackwoods are about the size of Germany.
Ya know, all this talk about the size of Yttaria got me curious, so I took the big map of Yrth and dropped a map of the British Isles on it. That didn't really satisfy me, so I dropped a map of the United States on it. And those maps are approximately to scale (I wasn't quite exact, but they're within a few percent of correct scale).

Seeing it superimposed like that rather impressed upon me that, yeah, Yttaria is kind of huge.
EDIT: Corrected size issue with Alaska.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-02-2017 at 01:12 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #72
Nemoricus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
Ya know, all this talk about the size of Yttaria got me curious, so I took the big map of Yrth and dropped a map of the British Isles on it. That didn't really satisfy me, so I dropped a map of the United States on it. And those maps are approximately to scale (I wasn't quite exact, but they're within a few percent of correct scale).

Seeing it superimposed like that rather impressed upon me that, yeah, Yttaria is kind of huge.
There's something weird with your map, since Alaska shouldn't be smaller than Texas.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #73
hal

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
Or just accept the large distances and fill in the space between towns with dungeons...
When you have magical creatures that can lay waste to human populations easily enough, or you have aliens (Elves, Orcs, etc) that are not exactly friendly to you - your settlements tend to be a wee bit closer. If you have to ride a horse a few days to the nearest settlement, and ride a few days back with help, chances are, the attack which sent you off for help, is already done and over with.

Likewise, transporting anything with the limitation of horse or oxen powered wagons, or even simple foot traffic, is going to severely limit the distances at which certain settlements will be from others. I believe that GURPS FANTASY for 4e makes a passing nod to this (been a while since I last read the book).

For some this doesn't matter. For others... <shrug>
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:42 PM   #74
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal View Post
When you have magical creatures that can lay waste to human populations easily enough, or you have aliens (Elves, Orcs, etc) that are not exactly friendly to you - your settlements tend to be a wee bit closer. If you have to ride a horse a few days to the nearest settlement, and ride a few days back with help, chances are, the attack which sent you off for help, is already done and over with.
My experience in fantasy land is usually more that every village, however small, is fortified and has guards posted on its towers. Thanks to things like Create Earth/Earth to Stone they can build the fortifications around the crop fields in the desired shape and size, and it's mostly adventurers and traveling merchants who dare to take the weeks or months to travel from one town to another because of all the monsters in between.

Also every town is built on top of or next to a dungeon itself, part of its economy coming from adventurers plundering the place for valuable resources.
Old 06-01-2017, 10:00 PM   #75
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoricus View Post
There's something weird with your map, since Alaska shouldn't be smaller than Texas.
Yeah, the one I grabbed had a smaller Alaska and larger Hawaii. That's typical of maps that throw in the two outer States. I scaled it to the Continental 48.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 01:36 AM   #76
scc

I think there are several stumbling blocks, the biggest is religion:
  • While the idea of a world where the crusades never ended is interesting, it's really more suited a two or three page entry in Infinite Worlds then being GURPS main fantasy setting, especially with how things have changed recently.
  • The central conflict is not really something that players can affect, really it's more like the sort of thing for a good alternative history books series.
  • In relation to that, unless your going to account for said central conflict, religion doesn't affect your character in anyway.
  • The religions which are actually interesting and might sell books aren't covered in any detail.

Beyond that there seems to have been no thought when writing Banestorm about how the plot would progress in the future. Personally the Caithness civil war interests me the most and a couple of things are glaringly missing: How many troops each player has and what the Elves are up to (It's hinted that their motives aren't what they say they are, but no further explanation is offered)
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 06:51 PM   #77
dcarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Beyond that there seems to have been no thought when writing Banestorm about how the plot would progress in the future.
It will progress however the GM and players want. I hate settings that have updates that change what has happened after I start playing.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #78
David Johansen

If I remember right, mass combat has some units for Yrth in it.
David Johansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #79
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johansen View Post
If I remember right, mass combat has some units for Yrth in it.
Its not so much that the units are built for Yrth, as that the combat example is set in yrth.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:13 PM   #80
cptbutton

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Beyond that there seems to have been no thought when writing Banestorm about how the plot would progress in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
It will progress however the GM and players want. I hate settings that have updates that change what has happened after I start playing.
I believe SJGames has an explicit policy of not ever doing metaplot stuff like this. There will never be Transhuman Space canon on what actually happens on 02 Jan 2100.

Tags
wishlist, yrth