Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-28-2017, 05:12 PM   #1
Webbo

Default Plot ideas for Jewellery Theft (GURPS Space Campaign)

I'm writing an adventure for my group in my GURPS Space campaign. The characters have joined a detective agency, and will be assigned to solve the mystery of a theft of an important jewel from the Royal Family of a distant planet. I've got a few of the details sorted out, but I'm struggling with how to lead the players to the culprit without it being too obvious. The King has recently died, and his eldest child is his daughter, who needs the diamond to secure the loyalty of her people to become queen. Her younger brother has stolen the diamond in his attempt to jump the queue to the throne. If successful, he will leave the galactic federation, so the stakes are high.

The jewel is smuggled out of the capital in the King's corpse, which is making the rounds between cities so his people can pay their respects. Once the players figure out they need to travel to another city, where the Prince lives, they will be subject to a sabotage of the vac-tube system, stranded in the middle of nowhere, where they will come across a secret military depot for forces loyal to the Prince. They'll probably attack the base, and win, and travel on to the city where the Prince lives.

Bits I'm stuck on:
How do the players figure out to travel to the city where the Prince lives? Do they suspect him too early (i.e. is it too obvious?)
Who else would they suspect, and how would they rule them out?
How will they discover the hiding place where the Prince has the diamond, again without being too obvious? (I've worked out the scene when they get there)
How do they get back to the capital with the diamond without getting caught? (Maybe they're chased?)

Any suggestions very welcome! Even just very brief idea snippets will help.

Cheers
Webbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Anthony

Default Re: Plot ideas for Jewellery Theft (GURPS Space Campaign)

I suggest replacing the diamond with a MacGuffin that's a bit harder to fake. On the other questions:

"Who benefits" is an obvious question in any mystery. Assume the prince will be immediately high on the list of suspects. Also assume that they'll need actual proof.
Other suspects, again, are political figures who want to interfere with inheritance. Who those are is something to consider.

Last edited by Anthony; 08-28-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote