Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-22-2016, 01:10 PM   #1
Erling

Default BAD and extra time

Am I correct assuming that BAD includes modifiers from possible extra time and haste? And, perhaps, repeated attempts (which I doubt)?

The reason I'm asking is because sometimes extra time is just free +5 to effective skill. If PCs encounter a lock and they're currently not attacked, spending x30 time can be alright for them. Thus, free +5 to Lockpicking roll (they won't finish the job faster, but they'll succeed anyway).

Some people may say "then GM should design a negative consequence for spending so much time, for example, guards receive reinforcements or get a chance for spotting the PCs because of noise". And that's what I regularly do. But sometimes lock is just a lock, I want to apply -2 modifier and see if PCs can handle this. But by-the-book I must take into account repeated attempts and extra time.
Wave your arms and shout.
Erling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:27 PM   #2
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: BAD and extra time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erling View Post
Am I correct assuming that BAD includes modifiers from possible extra time and haste? And, perhaps, repeated attempts (which I doubt)?
I'm pretty sure it doesn't include any of these.
Quote:
The reason I'm asking is because sometimes extra time is just free +5 to effective skill. If PCs encounter a lock and they're currently not attacked, spending x30 time can be alright for them. Thus, free +5 to Lockpicking roll (they won't finish the job faster, but they'll succeed anyway).
Spending 30 minutes waiting around for your lock-picker to do their work, in a place that has a BAD rating, in action-movie land, seems like a poor idea. Someone is bound to come along, because proper guards do not stay in one place, but patrol to check that nobody has got past them. Also, when they see a bunch of strangers loitering, they don't just wade into a fight, but sound the alarm.
Quote:
But sometimes lock is just a lock, I want to apply -2 modifier and see if PCs can handle this. But by-the-book I must take into account repeated attempts and extra time.
Well, the decision to take extra time and make repeated attempts is usually for the PCs to make, not the GM. If you want a formula for overall odds of success as one roll, after repeated attempts and extra time, assuming they can take as long as they like, something like half BAD would seem appropriate.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #3
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: BAD and extra time

I think BAD includes time available to do the task. In my mind, one of the things which can make up the BAD modifier is the amount of time you have to complete your work before someone discovers you. A lock in an area which is rarely checked by guards has less of a penalty than an identical lock in an area which is checked frequently because you have to open one faster than the other. Knowing which areas have less frequent checks, timing your intrusion so that you start work with the longest possible delay before the next check and causing delays in the guard's patrol are all part of reducing the abstract difficulty through research and planning.
Sam Baughn is offline   Reply With Quote