Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #41
scc

Default Re: TV series with ideas for GURPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Space Above and Beyond might be trying to carry the "Bad TV shows make good rpgs" principle too far.

You'd also have to pick which premise you were using. In the first ep they were the only successful fighter pilots Earth had. In the second ep they were grunts without space armor defending a refinery on Pluto from the inside.

Then in the third ep they were the bridge crew of a major starship and I stopped watching.

All of the above would not be compatible and some of it was _stupid_. If you have rescued some concept from this mess you might need to be more specific about what it is and why you think it would make a good game.
Consequence of calling/making them Marines. But the main characters do everything aspect of TV shows fits in well with a roleplaying game
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #42
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
But the main characters do everything aspect of TV shows fits in well with a roleplaying game
Have you looked at the required Skills for being a fighter pilot, a grunt and a bridge officer?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:27 PM   #43
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
Consequence of calling/making them Marines. But the main characters do everything aspect of TV shows fits in well with a roleplaying game
Some shows go overboard silly with megacompetent do everything characters. The most egregious that comes to mind is Abby from NCIS. She literally does the entire work of a well staffed lab so virtually the entire cast of the megacompetent do everything C.S.I. crew.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:42 PM   #44
Gollum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Some shows go overboard silly with megacompetent do everything characters.
Which can be very well simulated in GURPS with high basic attributes.
  • IQ 18 and you've got almost all mental skills at level professional and above. Abby, Sherlock Holmes, Walter Bishop ...
  • DX 18 and you've got almost all physical skills at level professional and above. Lara Croft, James Bond ...
That is why I said in so many threads that such scores were not realistic ... But they are still a very important possibility and I don't want the rules to change about that aspect. They allow to create characters who are hyper-competent in a very easy way. They allow to play in a heroic way without having to add the east optional rule.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 AM   #45
Flyndaran
Untagged

I'm not even talking about her impossible super genius and decades of experience and qualifications. It's that there's not enough time to do the work of 100 people no matter how smart she is.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:38 AM   #46
joppeknol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Clearly, the highly trained mercs were not shooting at the people. They were just shooting to make their vehicles flip over and whatnot, and having no trouble soaking all the target mods and Technique penalties. The showoffs. Way more skilled than those PCs that just shoot people.

The A-Team will need a required campaign advantage of Serendipity (Always Locked Up in a Machine Shop).
The A-team was shooting, while the baddies were spending all their plot points to avoid getting hit. In the end, the bad guys ran out of plot points so they meekly surrendered (Listen kids: never play with guns unless without enough plot points. it its too dangerous!).

Probably best modelled with opening character points turning hits into misses.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 04:58 AM   #47
Gold & Appel Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
But a Defenders-style team up of Daredevil (with Stick, perhaps), Jessica Jones and Luke Cage against their villain line-up would be quite GURPS-able- I'd put their point values in the same ballpark.
What, no Patty Walker? Her money, reaction bonuses, relative lack of Disadvantages, and ungodly Contact Groups put her in the same point range even before the Krav Maga...
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:37 AM   #48
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gold & Appel Inc View Post
What, no Patty Walker? Her money, reaction bonuses, relative lack of Disadvantages, and ungodly Contact Groups put her in the same point range even before the Krav Maga...
That's because, IMO, Contact Groups are way overpriced. Maybe later on, when she gets a costume or superhero name.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:34 AM   #49
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I'm not even talking about her impossible super genius and decades of experience and qualifications. It's that there's not enough time to do the work of 100 people no matter how smart she is.
Well obviously she's soooo super-duper smart she secretly invented AI and turned all her lab equipment into capable lab assistants. She does name them all after all...

:|
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:45 AM   #50
Not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
That's because, IMO, Contact Groups are way overpriced. Maybe later on, when she gets a costume or superhero name.
How expensive a contact group can you make if you take all the multipliers? It must be in the hundreds. I can see offering a discount so that it's priced similarly to an extremely competent ally or minion.

Tags
gurps, jessica jones, mad max, rule of cool, sense8, tv series