Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 11-05-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
collinc

Default PLEASE consider a promo system

So you announced earlier in the year that there would not be a new Warehouse 23 exclusive booster so you could focus on promos.

But with your current promo system, those promos are nearly impossible to get. I placed an order on 10-02 and got the two Oz promos. Awesome. I placed an order on 11-02 and got the same two Oz promos. That sucked. And I probably have 10 pitchers of cheap beer at this point.

You already have a higher shipping and handling cost than most retailers, and you don't typically sell things less than MSRP. I know you've said in the past that your shippers just grab promos and throw them in, but I would think for the cost we're paying you could also have them tick off little boxes on a tablet of what promos are going into the order. It's not like we're not paying for the extra handling cost, we are.

The only reason I order through W23 is for the promos. I would hope that you would want to add value to your store such that people are more satisfied with their orders. With so many new promos I'm a bit astounded that I got the same two as last month, and I really can't justify making another order through W23. :(
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:12 PM   #2
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Default Re: PLEASE consider a promo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinc View Post
I know you've said in the past that your shippers just grab promos and throw them in, but I would think for the cost we're paying you could also have them tick off little boxes on a tablet of what promos are going into the order.
That's not really an option, but we are exploring a way for those who really want a specific promo card to order that card (and/or bookmark).
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:23 PM   #3
UncleBob

A $20/month subscription where Munchkin fans get a monthly crate delivery full of Munchkin-related loot. Promo cards, posters, pawns, a new expansion (maybe a whole new set once a year or such).

$240/year for all-I-can-eat Munchkin goodness? Yes, please. :D
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #4
Damon Griffin

Quote:
But with your current promo system, those promos are nearly impossible to get. I placed an order on 10-02 and got the two Oz promos. Awesome. I placed an order on 11-02 and got the same two Oz promos. That sucked. And I probably have 10 pitchers of cheap beer at this point.
I know that I have 16 Pitchers of Cheap Beer. I have as many as 4 or 5 of some other promos. I personally don't need more than one of each, and I've had no luck trading my duplicates with others for cards I don't have; they've all got the ones I have in duplicate.

Quote:
The only reason I order through W23 is for the promos.
Same here. My FLGS is very good about not only getting Munchkin products in, but pulling them for me when they pull my subscription comics. So I'm pretty well assured of being able to get them right away, and don't have to pay shipping. But the proooomooooooooos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
That's not really an option, but we are exploring a way for those who really want a specific promo card to order that card (and/or bookmark).
That would be awesome, even if it's a matter of picking several cards/bookmarks for a W23 order and having getting any subset of those chosen -- a short Wish List the purchaser creates when placing the order in case his first choice is no longer available.

I don't know what the pattern is for number of cards/bookmarks per W23 order; I always get several but the number varies. I assume it's a function of total purchase price.
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #5
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Griffin View Post
My FLGS is very good about not only getting Munchkin products in, but pulling them for me when they pull my subscription comics. So I'm pretty well assured of being able to get them right away, and don't have to pay shipping. But the proooomooooooooos!
Please ask them to join our store finder and ask them to call Randy. IF we talk to a store we always offer to send them promos.

The last thing we want is for promos to be impossible to find. That's not fun for any of us, and promos sitting in our warehouse do none of us any good.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #6
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBob View Post
A $20/month subscription where Munchkin fans get a monthly crate delivery full of Munchkin-related loot. Promo cards, posters, pawns, a new expansion (maybe a whole new set once a year or such).

$240/year for all-I-can-eat Munchkin goodness? Yes, please. :D
You should see my emails from *mumble* years ago . . .
Old 11-05-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
collinc

Quote:
Any chance you can explain why that's not really an option? We have W23 accounts. Technically speaking it's definitely doable, though it would obviously require work.

If you have promos entered into inventory it could even be completely automated. Find a promo not given out already in stock and assign it to the order so when your warehouse workers get the pull sheet it includes those promos. You wouldn't even have to tick off items on a tablet, the computer could just assume you already have the promo because it was included in the last order.

So is it not an option financially to invest into that system? Because if it's only a technical limitation I'd be happy to solve that for you :p (you can pay me in promos)
collinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:00 PM   #8
Igneus

As a side note.
A great way to get promo cards also is to find a MIB, and pester/badger/play them. Generally speaking they usually have loads of promos (at least I do).

Need to find a MIB? Go to your FLGS and have them request one to stop by, and demo some games or run an event.

No MIB in your area? Become one! Then you are the one with the Promos overflowing from your Munchkin Demo Gear.
Igneus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Any chance you can explain why that's not really an option?
Constructing an entirely new system to handle cards we give away isn't the best use of our limited resources. We're discussing something that will allow those who really must get a specific card (within reason) to get that card.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
Mister Ed

Quote:
Constructing an entirely new system to handle cards we give away isn't the best use of our limited resources. We're discussing something that will allow those who really must get a specific card (within reason) to get that card.
What about those who don't need a SPECIFIC card, but would just like to not get the same cards over and over (that was my experience with my last couple W23 orders, too. Surprised me, because I had NONE of the newer promos...so what did I get? Older promos. Twice.)? ;-)

That said, I don't really need any system to get them. My new system is just to give up on them, and figure maybe someday we'll get another "Get's Promoted" style booster. :-D

(I was bitterly disappointed that the W23 booster was ditched in favor of more promos, though. I try hard to no longer mind not getting the promos, but not getting the W23 booster....BECAUSE of the promos I won't get...that was kind of salt in the wound. ;-) )
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote