Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-25-2014, 12:31 AM   #1
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Default [DF] How much venom and silk should you be able to get off a giant spider?

Let's say my giant spiders are SM-1, with ST/HP 7 and a few other arbitrary stats. Their venom is Monster Drool with a few extra cycles (when harvested it loses its cyclic effect - I just really like cyclic poisons because that's how it worked in the videogames that introduced me to RPGs and it gives the Neutralize Poison/Instant Neutralize Poison spells something to do).

Any guidelines on how much giant spider silk (as a raw material to sell, since it's not made into anything yet) and Monster Drool to allow PCs to extract from a spider on a successful surgery roll?

And while I'm at it, what should be the market price of a pound of raw spider silk?
Old 12-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #2
Dwarf99

Default Re: [DF] How much venom and silk should you be able to get off a giant spider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
Any guidelines on how much giant spider silk (as a raw material to sell, since it's not made into anything yet) and Monster Drool to allow PCs to extract from a spider on a successful surgery roll?
How much? No, not that I'm aware of. I'd say 1 dose per injector though for the poison. For the silk, use the numbers you'd use for the hit location (the obvious candidate being Groin on a roll of 12) figure out the odds of getting that number exactly (which you can look up "3d6 probability" to find) and apply that percentage to its total weight.

Quote:
And while I'm at it, what should be the market price of a pound of raw spider silk?
About 8 bucks according to DF 8 p. 12.

Last edited by Dwarf99; 12-25-2014 at 06:06 AM.
Dwarf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 04:50 AM   #3
Carnwennan

Default Re: [DF] How much venom and silk should you be able to get off a giant spider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Latrans View Post
About 8 bucks according to DF 8 p. 12.
I may be blind, but I can't see where you're getting that value, sorry.

On page 13 it says that giant spider silk fibres are $10/ lb, though, which matches with some quick math using production rules in basic on a piece of cloth torso armour.

E: and we both messed up quotes, haha.
Carnwennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 06:04 AM   #4
Dwarf99

Not to mention that I cited p. 12, not p. 13, a bolt is 2 lbs and 17 dollars according to column 1 last entry on p. 12. Of course that's not raw but I'd imagine you could figure labor to turn it into cloth at about 55% of that in accordance with Low Tech, making the raw strands on a spool worth 4. Or use the Fiber price of $.75

Last edited by Dwarf99; 12-25-2014 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM   #5
Bruno

If we're talking a real-world spider, you get no silk per ce. Silk isn't stored in a little spool of thread inside of spiders (or silkworms and other cocoon spinners). It's stored as (IIRC) a binary solution that needs to be put under pressure and tension to become silk and not glue - it's just sack(s) full of goo otherwise.

Now, you can still harvest the glands, and I don't see why an enchanter or alchemist or druid or some other arcane expert shouldn't have some wacky process to produce silk thread from the goo, but they're going to be fragile, have a distinct shelf-life, and it's going to be a fiddly expert skill to make the silk.

Harvesting webs from the lair of a giant spider is another thing entirely. An orb-web spinner won't have so much and it could be inconvenient to harvest, but the kinds that spin big sheets of webbing (much better for catching adventurers) could have prodigious amounts.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:40 AM   #6
Dwarf99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
It's stored as (IIRC) a binary solution that needs to be put under pressure and tension to become silk and not glue - it's just sack(s) full of goo otherwise.
That's a fair point. Could be as little as half the weight percentage of the targetted area
Old 12-25-2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

Harvesting webs from the lair of a giant spider is another thing entirely. An orb-web spinner won't have so much and it could be inconvenient to harvest, but the kinds that spin big sheets of webbing (much better for catching adventurers) could have prodigious amounts.
But the large quantities of sticky thread are nowhere near as strong as guide-wire thread. Most spiders produce quite a few different types for varying architectural purposes and features.

"Milking" ensorcelled spiders might make for an interesting industry.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:59 PM   #8
DanHoward

Quote:
If we're talking a real-world spider, you get no silk per ce. Silk isn't stored in a little spool of thread inside of spiders (or silkworms and other cocoon spinners). It's stored as (IIRC) a binary solution that needs to be put under pressure and tension to become silk and not glue - it's just sack(s) full of goo otherwise.
We covered this before

http://www.wired.com/2009/09/spider-silk/
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=78

The amount of labour involved is staggering.

Last edited by DanHoward; 12-25-2014 at 07:07 PM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #9
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Way we handle it in our DF games is a certain amount per point of MoS on the extraction roll. Generally about $100/point worth of stuff.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:24 PM   #10
Flyndaran
Untagged

But the labor per ounce of silk would go down fast the bigger the individual spider was.
Dealing with thousands of tiny animals that can only be "milked" once a week sounds fiddly regardless of amount harvested.