Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Warehouse 23 > Warehouse 23 Digital

Old 04-03-2014, 01:23 PM   #1
Steven Marsh

Default [New Release] GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters

What if arguably the world's foremost expert on making GURPS templates shared his know-how with you? Dwell not in the realm of "what if" any longer . . . use your mouse to click on the link to GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters, and learn how to make awesome character templates from Sean "Kromm" Punch. This supplement includes how to come up with the concepts, costs, and traits that define a character template, plus lots of tricks of the trade that help each hero maintain its niche.

And even if you're a player and you're not looking to design templates, this is still an invaluable supplement, since it helps gamers build efficient and useful characters that fill certain niches in the group.

If you're someone of exemplary character -- and, if you play GURPS, we know you are -- you owe it to yourself to pick up GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters. Learn from the best how to build character like never before!

Last edited by Steven Marsh; 04-03-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 05:59 PM   #2
Icelander

Default Re: [New Release] GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters

Hmmm... I looked over the previews and I didn't see any actual new traits. Are there any?

I'm sure advice on template building is useful to some gamers, but I've never had any trouble making templates, if I want them. Of course, I'd pay money to have people compile GCA templates, but that's another matter. :)

So, writers and editors, sell this product to me.

Why should I buy GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters? What will it bring to me games? How will it make my life easier? What ineffable joys will it introduce into my drear existence?
Old 04-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
Dammann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Of course, I'd pay money to have people compile GCA templates, but that's another matter. :)
Hmm?
pm me about this, it could probably be free if a little slow
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #4
TorgSmith

Quote:
Hmmm... I looked over the previews and I didn't see any actual new traits. Are there any?

I'm sure advice on template building is useful to some gamers, but I've never had any trouble making templates, if I want them. Of course, I'd pay money to have people compile GCA templates, but that's another matter. :)

So, writers and editors, sell this product to me.

Why should I buy GURPS Template Toolkit 1: Characters? What will it bring to me games? How will it make my life easier? What ineffable joys will it introduce into my drear existence?
This is more an expansion on Chapter 15 in the Basic Set Campaigns. The Basic Set chapter was 10 pages as opposed to 45 in this product. Somebody who builds a lot of templates probably won't get much from it. It is there to give people more ideas on what to consider when building a template that have not built a lot of them, or they are not happy with the ones they have built.

I am not on the production crew, just a customer. I have not read it yet, but I just gave it a quick skim. I will read it tomorrow.

Chapter 1 What are Templates is very basic, but it is only 3 pages long.

Chapter 2 Designing Templates goes into the mechanical aspect of building templates at about 14 pages. This also include ideas of how to manage building a set of templates what will work well together.

Chapter 3 Tips and Tricks had a good portion deal with Lenses. This chapter weighed in at 12 pages.

Chapter 4 Niches gives ideas for some existing Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills based on different major themes you might be running in your campaign. This would be a good brainstorming section on starting Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills for your templates. The more experienced people might get some ideas for Advantages, Disadvantages, and Skills that they might not normally use when they have a set of normal go to choices. It is about 12 pages.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:12 AM   #5
Mailanka

Like Icelander, I'm also very experienced making templates. I understand ideas like focusing all of my templates on the core gameplay I want from my campaign, creating niches, thinking about where a template will grow, and how to build interesting choices into my templates.

Is this template book mostly advice that someone like he and I don't need, or is this book a tool that makes template building faster and easier? It's not, by the way, that I think one is necessarily better than the other, it's just that one is more useful to me personally than the other.
Old 04-04-2014, 02:33 AM   #6
Pomphis

Quote:
What ineffable joys will it introduce into my drear existence?
You will own a book written by Him. Surely this is a joy beyond measure ?
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 AM   #7
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Heyheyhey, we now have 100% official and published comments on just how cool and unusual each attribute level is!
Old 04-04-2014, 05:13 AM   #8
Dammann

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Heyheyhey, we now have 100% official and published comments on just how cool and unusual each attribute level is!
That caught my eye, as well.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomphis View Post
You will own a book written by Him. Surely this is a joy beyond measure ?
There is that.

On the other hand, there might be some books written by Him which I have not yet acquired and which also contain useful material. I will betake myself to the Warehouse and investigate.
Old 04-04-2014, 06:21 AM   #10
TorgSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mailanka View Post
Like Icelander, I'm also very experienced making templates. I understand ideas like focusing all of my templates on the core gameplay I want from my campaign, creating niches, thinking about where a template will grow, and how to build interesting choices into my templates.

Is this template book mostly advice that someone like he and I don't need, or is this book a tool that makes template building faster and easier? It's not, by the way, that I think one is necessarily better than the other, it's just that one is more useful to me personally than the other.
In regards to the bolded text above. This is very subjective and could be answered incorrectly as we have no idea on how organized you are on building templates.

I am still early on in it right now, but it looks like he is talking about the over all process and how to organize building. If you are happy with your building of templates, then this is not needed. If the cost is acceptable to you for just reading up on this building concept, then get it.

Kromm said what the idea behind this book was here (http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...&postcount=252).