Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Miniatures

Old 10-10-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
UnfairBanana

Default Simple Green

I've recently started playing miniatures games, and was trying to find a way to strip paint without hurting the plastic. Most places recommend the cleaner, Simple Green. Anyone have experience with this product?
UnfairBanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
jfleisher

Default Re: Simple Green

I use Pine-sol, it's actually cheaper, and seems to work better on both plastics and metals.

My Ogre Miniatures Blog: http://ogreminiatures.blogspot.com
jfleisher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

I wouldn't recommend Pine-Sol on plastics, but I've used it on metal and it works fine. On some plastics, it will soften them quite a bit, which can be unsettling.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
drinniol

That's why it's important to test on a miniature that you can afford to lose first! :)
drinniol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
TheBigGeordieGeek

I have used Fairy Power Cleaner thats pretty good, either that or Sainsburys All Purpose Cleaner
Old 10-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairBanana View Post
I've recently started playing miniatures games, and was trying to find a way to strip paint without hurting the plastic. Most places recommend the cleaner, Simple Green. Anyone have experience with this product?
I use Pine-Sol for my metal miniatures, but have had nothing but good luck on even plastics (Mantic) with a product called "Purple Power" It's a purple liquid you can get at a number of hardware stores by the liter and it does an amazing job of stripping without damaging plastics.

Good luck!

After hitting the miniatures with Purple power, I then normally scrub with an old toothbrush and wash them and let them dry prior to repriming.

-P
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinR View Post
The usual recommendation I hear from UK folks is Dettol (which might be different from Dettol in the antipodes).

For the US, the usual recommendation seems to be Simple Green, with many endorsing Pine Sol for metal minis.
Yep, the traditional style brown Dettol seems to be the best stuff here on Homeworld - I tried to find Simple Green but we don't get it here. It's mostly fine on plastics, but seems to soften them a bit ... I suspect there's no good way of getting paint off plastics.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote