Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-15-2017, 11:33 AM   #1
Drakyrias

Default Help with a Morph

I'm working on a villain: the premise for the power set is he is a flesh absorber. He can use it to boost his health and to transform himself.

The 3 abilities I've given him are Absorb HT (Touch Only), Bite +2 (A negative to his abilities is he is also unhealing)

And Cosmetic Morph with the following enhancements/limits so far: Needs Sample -50% (He needs to consume the entire sample he wants to copy), +25% Genetic Match (Game is set in 90s U.S. so DNA testing is not as reliable or prevalent), +100% Improvised Forms, -5% Cannot Duplicate Clothes.

I would like to enhance this to a between ground where he can morph his appearance value similar to a full morph, but not the full morph template since I don't want him capable of taking on full templates.

Additionally the concept should support him surgically removing only the parts of individuals he wants to include in his forms, rather then incorporating the whole.

Looking for suggestions on any additional enhancements or limitations to include.
Drakyrias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 AM   #2
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Help with a Morph

Ok, I'm a touch confused by what you want here exactly. Let me try to spell it out and see if I can clarify.

You want this character to be able to shapeshift any part of their body (improvised forms) into the shape of a body part that they've consumed (requires sample). However, that body part doesn't act like the body part it's shapeshifted into (Cosmetic). So they could eat an elephant's trunk, and then turn their nose into a trunk, but it wouldn't be capable of grasping or lifting or anything? Do I have this right?

On the topic of "Genetic Match", I wouldn't price it nearly so high, personally. As you say, genetic testing is not going to be common in your setting anyway, and an extra 25 points for what's basically a very rare way of seeing through the disguise is probably not going to appeal to players. I wouldn't price "matches the genetics of a shape" at more than +10% in a setting where genetic testing is common and easy, or +5% in one where it's possible, but expensive and time-consuming.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Drakyrias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Ok, I'm a touch confused by what you want here exactly. Let me try to spell it out and see if I can clarify.

You want this character to be able to shapeshift any part of their body (improvised forms) into the shape of a body part that they've consumed (requires sample). However, that body part doesn't act like the body part it's shapeshifted into (Cosmetic). So they could eat an elephant's trunk, and then turn their nose into a trunk, but it wouldn't be capable of grasping or lifting or anything? Do I have this right?

On the topic of "Genetic Match", I wouldn't price it nearly so high, personally. As you say, genetic testing is not going to be common in your setting anyway, and an extra 25 points for what's basically a very rare way of seeing through the disguise is probably not going to appeal to players. I wouldn't price "matches the genetics of a shape" at more than +10% in a setting where genetic testing is common and easy, or +5% in one where it's possible, but expensive and time-consuming.
Cosmetic Morphs can alter their appearances within their own races, so he could consume the leg or legs of a star track runner and take on their appearance.

The cost for genetic match was based on cost in Shapeshifters: 50% is base cost for the minor version of simple skin and hair remains (no blood or internal organ changes), halved for a setting where blood testing is the standard.

Eventually his powers might grow to be more in line with capable of acquiring the full capabilities of the forms he consumes, but for the moment he's limited to just appearances.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:19 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

First of all, are you using 3e or 4e here? You've referenced Shapeshifters, which is 3e, so I'm not sure. I'm much more familiar with 4e, though, so my suggestions are based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias View Post
Cosmetic Morphs can alter their appearances within their own races,
The 4e version of Cosmetic has no restrictions on having to be the person's original race - you can transform into something that looks like a bear, elephant, etc., you just won't have any of its abilities and will be effectively limited to your own racial template's stuff. To limit a character with Morph to only forms of their own race is a further limitation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakyrias
The cost for genetic match was based on cost in Shapeshifters: 50% is base cost for the minor version of simple skin and hair remains (no blood or internal organ changes), halved for a setting where blood testing is the standard.
Fair enough, but I'd still dispute those values. I wouldn't use them in a 4e game.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:29 PM   #5
Drakyrias

3rd edition is the principal rules set, though we have drawn from some 4th edition material when compatible.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:00 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

I loved 3rd edition Shapeshifters book and, ironically, use it for ideas with regards to 4th edition characters. Quite a few modifiers to morph and shapeshifting, aka alternate form, got left by the wayside in the change.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 AM   #7
Drakyrias

The 3rd shapeshifters book is turning into a favored book of mine as well, but still looking for help with any modifications to my villain.

Tags
3rd edition, supers