Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #1
TheBiff

Default Munchkin Steampunk non Deluxe

Over the course of the year we have gotten updates on Munchkin Steampunk Deluxe but I dont recall hearing anything about a non deluxe version. Is there going to be a non deluxe version and if so can we expect it out before the deluxe or at the same time as deluxe? I can understand if the answer is wait and see.

Last edited by TheBiff; 06-08-2015 at 11:41 AM.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Munchkin Steampunk non Deluxe

We have not announced a non-Deluxe version.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
Mister Ed

Though one could be excused for thinking you had, since when the game WAS originally announced, the artwork shown sure looked like regular, non-deluxe box art...

http://www.sjgames.com/ill/archive/2014-08-13

I'm actually kind of glad if there isn't a non-deluxe version. I've been waffling on buying a Deluxe version before now, purely because of the higher cost and my thinking that I don't really NEED the board (and I've avoided the various separate boards because the costs of those were WAAAY too high for me to consider, for what they included...given that I already had plenty of ways to track levels), but I'd LIKE a board, and this set looks intriguing, so maybe I'll finally get one.

Last edited by Mister Ed; 06-08-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:31 AM   #4
Ghornet

Just noticed that Steampunk is no longer on the 'New Release' list for July but hasn't mad August yet. Hoping this just means you're waiting to be sure?
Game Changers & Holiday Suprise
Ghornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The Launch Kit will release in August and the standalone game will release in October.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #6
Damon Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
We have not announced a non-Deluxe version.
This would be the first (of six so far) Deluxe editions that didn't have a non-Deluxe version preceding it. I hope this is not the start of an evil plan to phase out non-Deluxe versions.

I don't need multiple game boards or dozens of pawns, and I certainly don't need the loss of additional shelf space Deluxe editions bring. To paraphrase Patrick Henry, "Give me non-Deluxe or give me..." No, wait, scratch that.

As the Nerf toy people say "It's non-Deluxe or nothing."
Damon Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:34 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Hi, Damon! Long time . . .

I can't comment on specific unannounced products or plans, but I can say that there are some new non-Deluxe Munchkin sets on our upcoming schedule, and that several of our larger corporate customers are very invested -- literally -- in Munchkin games at the $24.95 price point. Whether Steampunk represents a shift in philosophy toward "Deluxe first" (or "Deluxe only") is something that we'll have to evaluate when looking at sales and reactions from customers and retailers. For now, it may be better to look at it as a sort of experiment.

We'll also have to look at our own numbers, of course; if we reach a point where our profit on a Deluxe set is greater than the profit on the comparable regular set, we'll have an interesting decision to make. We are definitely not there yet.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
ncoleman

While I understand your view as a business decision and looking at different options. However I caution that your that your stats maybe skewed with people like myself that would rather buy a regular set w/o the board and standies but will still buy this set because it is highly intriguing and something that we want. I for one am really looking forward to this set after I watched it played (narrowly missing playing myself) at Munchkin World and I've been waiting to buy it since. However having bought the Board of Health, Level the Playing Field, and Legends Deluxe I dont have a desire to have more boards especially without extra incentives such as cards or expansions as with Legends. I know that there are some that desire to have everything y'all make but I dont think that counts for the majority of your customers (coming from someone that has to have every card possible). If this is to become a trend, to me it would be disappointing because I wont be able to get the little extras. I will however deal with it because I love this great game and love to collect more than I could ever play in a year.

That being said I love everything you guys do and I look forward to all of your future product as you expand with different companies and games styles(loot and panic). Thank you guys for what you do bringing enjoyment to all of us. Keep up the good work.
ncoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
TheBiff

Restating ncoleman's voice on the matter, I am the same way. If this is a deluxe only set then so be it I am still going to buy it. If the tides shift and deluxe is the new standard then alright looks like I am getting a lot of boards and standies I wont be using. I love the Munchkin brand (my purchase history would reflect that) and I trust you guys in the fullest.
TheBiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:49 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

I'll just state my confidence that SJG knows how to conduct a sales experiment and interpret the data from it.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote