Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #21
Nymdok

Default Re: Ideas for a Pirate Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Well, the societies classic pirates worked outside were monarchies where kings and landowning nobles were the people who paid for any R&D that happened.

Pirates, in contrast, were heavily into sharing the booty out and enjoying it; collectively paying for supplies for the ship happened, but buying expensive things like better cannons seems unlikely. It wasn't a lifestyle that encouraged cost-benefit analysis.
I understand that historically that may not have been the case. Im just entertaining the idea of a pirate town that houses a pirate society that, over time, becomes a little more forward thinking.

For some reason the idea of a steam punky type section of the town where that is done appeals to me and I have no Idea why.

If were pirating today, and were probably gonna be pirating tomorrow, shouldnt we be better at it tomorrow?

If the Gunners got together and said, 'Hey cap'n we just upgraded the cannon to give us 50 yards more reach and water ported the barrels to fire more rappidly , is that worth a bigger share of the loot?'

'Weve just developed an oil filled ordinance that makes the deck of the enemy ship slippery like jellyfish snot. AND we invented golf shoes for when we board.'

Again, just thinking outloud..
I dont know how I even got here...
Nymdok
Nymdok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:41 PM   #22
Phantasm

From what I've read, pirates were historically a fairly diplomatic bunch, deciding where to go hunting and what kinds of targets to hit by communal decision. The captain was the guy who led the attacks, but out of combat had very little power; the quartermaster had more power than the captain during actual sailing.

I can see a pirate town operating in a similar Athenian Democracy fashion, with resident landowners (even if that land is a run-down building in the slums) getting together every week or two to discuss things in an assembly, with a designated person in charge of defense ("in case of attack, we all do what John Smith commands"), who may chair such meetings to keep them organized. "John Smith" would probably be a retired pirate captain or former military man himself, and probably high status and his opinion held in high regard, but his actual authority most of the time would be minimal.

What I was thinking of for placement would be along a natural cove, possibly on an island. If we figure a town of a few hundred to at most two thousand people, not counting transients from ship crews (and not necessarily all pirates, either; I can see it being a popular smuggler's port, too), how much farmland would be necessary for the needed grain?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
how much farmland would be necessary for the needed grain?
Pyramid #52 will let you figure that out, if all the food is grown locally. However, since you're talking about an island and lots of shipping going through, you're dealing with an absurdly large catchment area. Assuming it's not the only island for hundreds of miles around, food can be shipped in at a reasonable cost (or, at least, a cost the plunder-rich pirates can bear) from a very large area, bought on the open market.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #24
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Okay, there's the obvious stuff: the ship repair crews, the tavern, the brothel, the boarding houses....

But what else would you expect to find or like to see in a town that's not near "established civilization" (say, in the Caribbean or along the African coastline) in a TL4-5 world that's a haven for pirates?
I'm going to second the suggestion of Freeport. I've been running a GURPS campaign in and around Freeport for a few years and it's been fun (on and off campaign). Basically, the Pirate Town should need all the things a normal Town has, with perhaps more emphasis on how Pirates will end up spending their cash...
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 07:15 PM   #25
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar View Post
I'm going to second the suggestion of Freeport. I've been running a GURPS campaign in and around Freeport for a few years and it's been fun (on and off campaign). Basically, the Pirate Town should need all the things a normal Town has, with perhaps more emphasis on how Pirates will end up spending their cash...
Yeah... cash flow is too limited right now.

Right now, Poor Wealth living at Status -1.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:42 AM   #26
The Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalillama View Post
Historically, a significant percentage of the crews of Caribbean buccaneers were freed slaves. At least one captain made a habit of hitting slave ships to recruit more crew after bloodily slaughtering the slavers.
IIRC Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge was a slaver when taken and a number of her cargo ended up joining Teach's crew.

As a suggestion for the town itself - perhaps consider using hulks for some or all of the buildings: basically surplus or unseaworthy ships stripped down and riding at moorings, used as accomodation or storage.

Depending on your pirates, pirate town may look a lot less remarkable than you might expect - there are some indications that some Carribean pirates were pretty domestic when not at sea and ran fairly typical looking settlements (except for the lack of a colonial govenor). Other pirates such as Dyak raiders were pretty typical fishermen and farmers as well. Barbary Corsairs arguably classify as privateers but without the adherence to the customs and usages which would have gained them recognition as such.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 04:48 AM   #27
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Colonel View Post
Barbary Corsairs arguably classify as privateers but without the adherence to the customs and usages which would have gained them recognition as such.
So not privateers. Being a privateer was not a matter of custom and usage, it was a matter of legal status conferred by a letter of marque. The whole point of getting letters of marque was to be recognized as privateers and treated as such instead of as pirates if caught.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #28
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Rancke-Madsen View Post
Parrot sellers!

Hans
Parrotteers! :)
Old 10-21-2013, 05:35 AM   #29
Astromancer

Have you guys read The Pirate Utopias which is about Pirate Utopias and written by that sinister nutcase Peter Lamborn Wilson. Wilson's stuff is fun and informitive even if he is weird and unwholesome. You should be able to get some wild and highly playable ideas for any pirate game.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 AM   #30
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
Parrotteers! :)
Soldiers armed with parrots?!?

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote