Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 11-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #2721
Varyon

Default Re: Real-Life Weirdness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
A flock of sheep in Inner Mongolia have been walking a circle for twelve days without stopping.
"This farm has stopped responding. Would you like to kill the process or allow it to finish?"
Old 11-18-2022, 05:44 PM   #2722
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
They're trying hard to send the signal!
You can't stop the signal.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:53 AM   #2723
cptbutton

Never mind arguing about the Pilgrims versus the Native Americans, the true victims are retaliating:

‘He kind of amps them up’: ‘Kevin’ the ringleader as turkeys terrorize Massachusetts town
Quote:
It’s the time of year when millions of turkeys across the US might justifiably fear for their safety, but in one Massachusetts town the birds have turned the tables, ganging up to “terrorize” residents with pecks, kicks and loud clucking
Old 11-26-2022, 01:30 PM   #2724
Dr. Beckenstein

What should be done when during an earthquake the cages in the zoo brake open, and the animals run away?

The Osaka Zoo run an emergency drill for such an event. With a guy in a lion suit.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/034000c
Old 11-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #2725
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Dog Shoots Man

Turns out this is not just a freak accident, its a freak accident that happens fairly often. The hunter puts his gun down to investigate where the dog is pointing (its nose because it smells game), and then the dog steps on the gun and pulls the trigger.

My dad mentioned this when giving a gun safety lecture to my younger cousins while shooting over the holiday. I thought of this thread, looked it up, and found it had happened again just two days ago.

So if you get the opportunity to use this...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 12:29 PM   #2726
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
*Varyon successfully avoids making an ATF joke*
I think this would be preventable with the second rule of gun safety (generally shortened to "Never point your weapon at anything you do no wish to destroy," but it's about always keeping track of what your weapon is pointing at, and avoiding it ever being pointed at something you don't want to shoot). Granted, I've always assumed that was talking more about a weapon you are holding in your hands - a weapon that's laying the bed of a truck (as in this case) or on the ground (in the general case of the hunting accidents you mentioned) would seem like it wouldn't be at risk of just randomly going off, but we see here that such an assumption can have tragic consequences.

In GURPS, this is arguably a great place for Standard Operating Procedure: Always Follows Gun Safety Rules (a Perk)... although most GM's aren't as cruel as Real Life, so your dog accidentally killing you in such a method generally isn't going to be a risk in a game (maybe if you have a Critical Failure on Animal Handling, and then roll an 18?). You could use this to throw investigator PC's a curveball, when they're investigating a mysterious death... or maybe the murderer claims this is what happened, and the PC's need to figure out the truth.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:26 PM   #2727
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I think this would be preventable with the second rule of gun safety (generally shortened to "Never point your weapon at anything you do no wish to destroy," but it's about always keeping track of what your weapon is pointing at, and avoiding it ever being pointed at something you don't want to shoot).
I always thought of that as our first rule of gun safety... and yeah, the story came up in a lecture about said rule.

Quote:
You could use this to throw investigator PC's a curveball, when they're investigating a mysterious death... or maybe the murderer claims this is what happened, and the PC's need to figure out the truth.
Truth is stranger than fiction. those are some good ideas.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 01:42 PM   #2728
Varyon

Quote:
I always thought of that as our first rule of gun safety... and yeah, the story came up in a lecture about said rule.
It was the second in the list I happened to pull up (the first was to always treat any firearm as loaded), but it looks like there are multiple different lists that generally work out to the same general principles.

Quote:
Truth is stranger than fiction. those are some good ideas.
Fiction needs to be believable; Truth has no such restrictions. There are also more fantastic options, like the dog actually being a shapeshifted assassin, a body snatcher that was controlling the victim then transferred to the dog and disposed of its previous host, someone working a Path of Chance ritual to cause the event, etc.
Old 11-30-2022, 05:44 PM   #2729
dcarson

Have it be someone important the dog killed. Then have An Indian official killed by monkey attack. Then a politician killed by a bull on his farm. PCs should start wondering about any animal they see and start investigating.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 12:58 PM   #2730
cptbutton

The Cattle Mutilators are back! A 40 year gap, does that mean the alien planet is 20 light years away?

Quote:
About 40 cows and calves have been found dead near the town of Meeker, in north-west Colorado, in the past two months. Wolves were initially blamed for the deaths, but Colorado parks and wildlife (CPW) officials have since said that only five of the deceased cattle showed wolf-related injuries.

The investigation has since focused on whether the cows could have been infected with a deadly bacteria, but postmortems have revealed no evidence of that, either.

The saga is “perplexing”, Travis Black, CPW north-west region manager, told a parks commission in mid-November.

“We’re scratching our heads a little bit. We don’t know exactly what has occurred up there.”

Tags
blueberry muffin, fermi paradox