Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 11-22-2011, 08:37 PM   #181
jason taylor

Default Re: 'Imperial Culture' (non-canonista)

Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic View Post
The Romans did have a state religion, Astromancer. They had one from the time of King Numa all the way to the end of the Empire in 1453 AD; it just wasn't the same state religion the whole time. I suggest that polytheists make a different sort of claim than monotheists. Syncretism is possible with either set of theological assumptions, but it's arguably easier with polythiesm. The same goes for pluralism. Please note that the Romans did, at various times, ban certain cults that made trouble for the Republic/Empire, or that grossly offended the sensibilities of the elite.

Oh, and it's no fair to make bold claims, like 'the US has never been an empire' and then forbid anyone to challenge said claims. Either make statements you can defend, or don't make them. :)

I'm going to ask again- can we please move the non-Traveller stuff to PMs? I'm perfectly happy to discuss imperialism, secularism, federalism, militarism, and Astromancerism in a more appropriate venue. I'm offering you that venue; let's talk about this stuff in PMs.
By the way, what are the primary principles of Astromancerism?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:42 PM   #182
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
Yes, but you attributed a specific motive to "the government", other then what would have been it's stated one. To do that you would either have to posit a conspiracy containing enough government members to be said to represent it in a meaningful sense, that is yet kept from the general population, most of whom serve the government at some point in their lives. Or you would have to assume false consciousness.
Alternatively you can posit that this only refers to the topmost levels of The Government. For two hundred years.
'Government'= the people in power. It's shorthand, and not hard to understand. I dislike games of semantics.People are often hypocrites. We've kept up the hypocrisy for a couple of centuries in this country.

Last edited by combatmedic; 11-22-2011 at 08:47 PM.
combatmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:57 PM   #183
jason taylor

Quote:
'Government'= the people in power. It's shorthand, and not hard to understand. I dislike games of semantics.People are often hypocrites. We've kept up the hypocrisy for a couple of centuries in this country.
Hairsplitting is useful once in awhile to defrag your brain. You still haven't told me what the principles of Astromancerism are though.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:01 PM   #184
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Hairsplitting is useful once in awhile to defrag your brain. You still haven't told me what the principles of Astromancerism are though.
It appears to be: copy the Jacobins, while denying French influence.:0
Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 PM   #185
jason taylor

Quote:
It appears to be: copy the Jacobins, while denying French influence.:0
Ah. Down with the Astromancerians! King, country and prize money galore!
Old 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #186
jason taylor

Before Mr Hackard sends his bolt of lightning from on high, lets get back to imperial customs. You still haven't told what you think of the "hawkplants" idea.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:15 PM   #187
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Before Mr Hackard sends his bolt of lightning from on high, lets get back to imperial customs. You still haven't told what you think of the "hawkplants" idea.
Or my book report. ;-)

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #188
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I could easily see a "Decentralise the Empire to protect our freedoms" faction fighting a "Centralise the Empire so it's strong enough to protect our freedoms" faction. The in-fighting would be epic and nasty.
Dulinor! You know he just wants to rock your body politic.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #189
Hans Rancke-Madsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
Saying "We can't but you can" is no protection to the people, only the member states. It's worse than no protections at all for many of the people.
It sure is. Worse than no protection for many of the people, that is. As I see it, it goes back to the formation of the Imperium and its early days. We had the Sylean Federation which, I posit, had a bill of rights, transforming into the Imperium and inviting the neighbors to join. Cleon I had two significant power groups to placate: the people of the Federation and the governments of the neighboring worlds. The first he allowed to keep their rights (or at least the belief in them) and the second he assured of local autonomy in all internal. Result: "We can't, but you can".

As I see it.

Hans
Hans Rancke-Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #190
combatmedic
Banned

Quote:
You still haven't told what you think of the "hawkplants" idea.
I like it. Falconry just feels right for the nobility. The implants to give a 'Beastmaster' POV are very cool, and add a nice sci fi twist to an ancient sport.