Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 AM   #1
dwightemarsh

Default Showing levels with Spells

I am working on a GURPS IOU one shot and I am having trouble having the skill level of the spells show up when I print the character sheet out. The skill level shows up fine when I am working on the sheet, but when I go to print preview or print the sheet out, it only provides the name of the spell and how many points were put in the skill, not the final level.

Help!
dwightemarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:49 AM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Showing levels with Spells

Need more information. Which data files are you loading? Which character sheet are you using for printing?
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
dwightemarsh

I am not sure I am answering this correctly but when I click on the options button and click on data set is is listed as default.gds and the data files included are

GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed -Characters
GURPS Fantasy 4e
GURPS High Tech 4e
GURPS Horror 4e
GURPS Low Tech 4e
GURPS Magic 4e
GURPS Psionic Powers 4e
GURPS Space 4e

As for the sheet profile, when I click on the Character Sheet Options, the Sheet Profile is blank
Old 09-03-2017, 05:44 PM   #4
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightemarsh View Post
As for the sheet profile, when I click on the Character Sheet Options, the Sheet Profile is blank
He didn't ask which profile, he asked which sheet (e.g. charactersheet.gcs, phoenix.gcs, etc).

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:03 PM   #5
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmedwards View Post
He didn't ask which profile, he asked which sheet (e.g. charactersheet.gcs, phoenix.gcs, etc).
To expand on that:

If you're getting to the print preview just by clicking the Print Preview button, or by selecting Print Preview from the File menu, you're using the default character sheet specified for that character, so you'll want to look that up in Options.

When you go into Tools > Options, and then click on the Current Character Options tab, the default sheet for that character is specified in the Character Sheet drop-down list (it's the second field, directly under the Current Character drop-down list).

If you're getting to the print preview in some other way, you'll be selecting a sheet when doing that, so that'll be the sheet in question, rather than the default.

(Sheet profiles, on the other hand, are a way to save different options for each sheet that you use, so you can have different looks and feels depending on what you need from the sheet for different purposes or characters.)
Old 09-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #6
dwightemarsh

If I am reading this correctly, it is charactersheet.gcs
Old 09-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #7
Armin
GCA Prime

When you print or preview the sheet, a bunch of stuff is sent to the Logging window (if you have that closed, open it), which looks something like this:

Code:
Options: Loading charactersheet.gcs.
Options: For charactersheet.gcs created.
Print: Loading charactersheet.gcs.
Print: Device is Adobe PDF
Print: PaperSize is 1
Print: Using sheet options from: charactersheet.gcs
Print: Setting Options.
  charactersheet.GCS (20170201)
You'll see in there a number of references to the sheet being printed. The last line here is the sheet telling you what version it is, in this case the February 1, 2017 version.

If that's not the version you see, or you don't see that output at all, you probably need to run the Data File Update or download and install the current version of GCA from Warehouse 23.

For that matter, if you're not running version 4.0.423 of GCA, you definitely need to update, and update before you run the Data Update! You can grab the Patcher from the Update link above, or a whole new installer which includes everything you need, from Warehouse 23 (if you do that, you don't need the Patcher or the Data Update).

(The current Data Update includes a slightly older version of this sheet than I'm running. You can get the version I'm running, with a couple extra bug fixes, from my character sheet page.)
Old 09-09-2017, 05:14 AM   #8
dwightemarsh

OK, so I had thought I had updated the file, but it looks like I had just downloaded the updater rather than running it. That fixed my spell level problem, but seems to have introduced a new problem.

I am not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but there seems to be a page break between Magery 3 and Magery 0. All the Advantages ifrom Magery 0 and all the Disadvantages are pushed onto a second sheet even with a big empty space on the first character sheet for advantages and disadvantages. When I delete Magery 3 and Magery 0 the problem disappears, but when I add them back in it reappears.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:44 PM   #9
Armin
GCA Prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightemarsh View Post
I am not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not, but there seems to be a page break between Magery 3 and Magery 0. All the Advantages ifrom Magery 0 and all the Disadvantages are pushed onto a second sheet even with a big empty space on the first character sheet for advantages and disadvantages. When I delete Magery 3 and Magery 0 the problem disappears, but when I add them back in it reappears.
I'm not sure what might be happening there, but I don't see anything similar on a quick test case.

If you email the character to me at gca4 at misersoft dot com I'll take a look at it when I have a chance. Please ZIP the character before attaching it to the email, and reference this thread in the text.

Or, you could try playing around with some of the options in the Sheet Options for the sheet, and see if any of those fix what's happening as a side-effect.

Armin
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 AM   #10
Armin
GCA Prime

Okay, another user sent me a test character, and I can reproduce this issue with the version of charactersheet.gcs that is included in the Data Update and current Warehouse 23 installer, but I can't with the version on my web site.

So, the solution at this time appears to be to get the newest version of the sheet from my site at my character sheet page and replace your copy of charactersheet.gcs with that one.