Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 08-15-2019, 02:17 PM   #21
larsdangly

Default Re: Middle Earth: Melee (TFT) or Man to Man (GURPS)

Magic in middle earth games feels to me like a widely debated non problem. The books present you with a variety of different 'takes' on the frequency and distribution of magical (or effectively magical) powers, so a wide range of approaches can result in something that feels canonical. The only place where you need to use some thought is in pruning spell lists so that magical powers have effects in keeping with the setting. I.e., no teleportation; invisibility, lightning and weapon enchantment is fine; etc.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 02:23 PM   #22
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Magic in middle earth games feels to me like a widely debated non problem. The books present you with a variety of different 'takes' on the frequency and distribution of magical (or effectively magical) powers, so a wide range of approaches can result in something that feels canonical. The only place where you need to use some thought is in pruning spell lists so that magical powers have effects in keeping with the setting. I.e., no teleportation; invisibility, lightning and weapon enchantment is fine; etc.
That's more or less my thinking on the matter.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 04:06 PM   #23
Steve Plambeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
Can add to that fire spells, shadow, staff, and the first time I read the Blast spell in original Wizard I said to myself, "Aha! That is exactly what Gandalf used when the goblins tried to abduct him along with Bilbo and the dwarves that night they went to sleep in the cave!" Alas that scene never made it into Peter Jackson's Hobbit, because he left Gandalf behind in Rivendell -- one of many little changes I find annoyingly spurious.
Old 08-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #24
middlearthenthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plambeck View Post
Can add to that fire spells, shadow, staff, and the first time I read the Blast spell in original Wizard I said to myself, "Aha! That is exactly what Gandalf used when the goblins tried to abduct him along with Bilbo and the dwarves that night they went to sleep in the cave!" Alas that scene never made it into Peter Jackson's Hobbit, because he left Gandalf behind in Rivendell -- one of many little changes I find annoyingly spurious.
My idea at the moment is to have characters create only fighters. Ill use rules for Wizards just to give relevant abilities to the appropriate NPCs the players will stumble across, much like TOR. I could be persuaded to let players learn a few spells if they seemed fitting for a particularly magical culture...such as a high elf but only at the GMs discretion. TOR is great for storytelling, but a big part of me just wants to run a scary sandbox survival campaign in Wilderland with a bunch of inexperienced PCs. Im thinking: tracking rations, slow-healing wounds, travel fatigue, OP horrifying beasts that the PCs should probably not engage in combat, etc.
middlearthenthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote