Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 01-21-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Cowboy Tanaka

Default Help With Unclear Maneuver

I just got Car Wars yesterday and while reading through the rules I dont quite understand how to do a bootleggers reverse. I understand the first part where you bend or skid, but in figure 6 I dont understand exactly what maneuver was used to get to point B and I dont understand at all how to finish the maneuver and how the car ends up at point C. Thanks in advance for your help. :)
Cowboy Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:02 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: Help With Unclear Maneuver

The manoeuvre is a special all in one D7. It is not a combination of other manoeuvres.

You always move to the intermediate stage in the phase you try the manoeuvre.

If you make the control roll the next phase you move to the end position. If you fail then you move according to the results of the crash table as though the intermediate position was your start point.

This is pretty clear in the 2.5 compendium, it may be less clear in other editions. Which version did you just buy?

Last edited by swordtart; 01-21-2018 at 06:08 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Cowboy Tanaka

Thanks for the reply! It is 4th edition.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #4
Cowboy Tanaka

Now I don't understand t-stops lol. Do I just follow the diagram the same as you do for a bootlegger? Does the speed you are going not effect the distance moved when performing a t-stop?
Old 01-21-2018, 06:44 PM   #5
Parody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Tanaka View Post
Now I don't understand t-stops lol. Do I just follow the diagram the same as you do for a bootlegger? Does the speed you are going not effect the distance moved when performing a t-stop?
From the text: "The car then continues skidding sideways until it slows to a halt." (Decelerating 20 MPH and taking 1 point of tire damage per inch moved.)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Cowboy Tanaka

So does it just skid in one inch increments until it reaches 0 mph?
Old 01-21-2018, 11:25 PM   #7
Magesmiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Tanaka View Post
So does it just skid in one inch increments until it reaches 0 mph?

As I'm guessing that you're looking at the Classic rules which are currently in-print, I'm going to refer you to this thread which covered Classic Errata (and a bunch of other stuff).

The 2nd post includes some errata covering how the T-Stop is supposed to work.

The vehicle will continue moving according to the movement chart, decelerating 20 mph after each move.

For example, a car is going 90 mph (with movement in each phase being 2, 2, 2, 1, 2) as its first move in the 2nd phase. After the first move, each tire takes a point of damage, the car makes a D9 maneuver, and then drops 20 mph of speed. Assuming something bad didn't happen, its speed is 70 (2, 1, 2, 1, 1) and it has already moved once in the 2nd phase, so it is done moving for this phase. (Even though the original move for the phase was 2, the speed loss causes the second move to be negated. If the maneuver was made on the 2nd move of the phase, the car would've actually moved 2, since it would've been going 90 when it made each of the moves).
We move on to the 3rd phase and it skids another inch, taking a point of damage and reducing speed to 50 (1, 1, 1, 1, 1). Again, we've lost the 2nd move in the phase, so the car doesn't move again in the 3rd.
We move on to the 4th and the tires take another point of damage and the speed drops to 30 (1, -, 1, -, 1). No moves left in the 4th.
In the 5th, the car skids another inch, applying another point of damage to the tires and dropping the speed to 10 (1, -, -, -, -). Done moving for the turn (handling recovers some points after the 5th).
In the 1st phase of the new turn, the car is still going 10 mph, so it skids one more time, with another point of damage to each tire and the car stops after the move.
On the 2nd phase the vehicle can change speed and aim weapons again.

This is assuming that the vehicle doesn't receive a hazard or run into something while in the middle of the T-Stop, of course.

It doesn't say it, but a car shouldn't be able to change speed (other than the deceleration from the T-Stop) while performing a T-Stop. (And to forestall a discussion of an even more complicated edge case, if anyone wants to fire rocket boosters while doing a T-Stop, get up and smack them with the rulebook if they even suggest it).

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!

Last edited by Magesmiley; 01-21-2018 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Adding an example
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote