Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM   #1
antee

Default Dryad and casting couch

Hi, yesterday we faced with this situation:

Player A found a monster during "kicking the door". He had the casting couch and he decided to sit on it. After that player B played Dryad+Wandering Monster... Dryad's card says: "She saps a Wizard's powers. Any Wizard who faces her loses his Wizard class immediatly". So we strated discussing should playar A lose his couch or not? While someone sits at casting couch he is a wizard for all purpose... so after a long dispute, we decided, that during this combat player A would be wizard... (because Dryad saps wizards power)... but what to do with second part(lose class)... player A had no class... but, after another dispute we decided, that he should roll, even - happens nothing, odd - dryad sucks power from couch and couch become very common.

But at all, i am interesting, is there any official rule, what should player with coach do, when he facing dryad?

and, because we speaking about casting coach... epic wizard may outrun curse... while in combat, player with coach is a wizard and may do same thing... but while he not in combat.... may or not player use wizards power?
antee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #2
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Default Re: Dryad and casting couch

Some great questions here, antee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antee View Post
Player A found a monster during "kicking the door". He had the casting couch and he decided to sit on it. After that player B played Dryad+Wandering Monster... Dryad's card says: "She saps a Wizard's powers. Any Wizard who faces her loses his Wizard class immediatly". So we strated discussing should playar A lose his couch or not?
I'd say no. The player doesn't actually have the Wizard class, so the Dryad has nothing to steal. However, I would say that he couldn't use the Wizard abilities granted by the Casting Couch while facing the Dryad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antee View Post
and, because we speaking about casting coach... epic wizard may outrun curse... while in combat, player with coach is a wizard and may do same thing... but while he not in combat.... may or not player use wizards power?
The Casting Couch text only addresses the question of using it in combat, so I think the intent was that you cannot use it at other times.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 PM   #3
froztyman

Adding to the dryad question: if i face the dryad and have the Wizard hireling, what happens to him?
froztyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Clipper

Given Andrew's previous answer, I'd say the Wizard Hireling does not count as a Wizard for the battle. So if he is carrying a "Usable Only By Wizards" Item, it wouldn't count, but if it's a different Item, it still would.

This opinion isn't official, though. Just how I would treat the card until we get an official viewpoint.

Tags
casting couch, dryad