Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-05-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
Blind Mapmaker

Default Most Useful GURPS Traveller Books from a GURPS Point of View

With SJG not reviewing the Traveller licence , GURPS Traveller suddenly shifted from "nice to have" to "should get it soon" in my personal schedule.

I own the core book and I bought quite some of the race books for a friend over the years. They always struck me as well-made and imaginative products. I'm not ruling out running Traveller one day, but I'm mostly interested in books that contain rules easily cannibalised for other settings in GURPS 4th Edition. I heard Starports and First In have interesting rules, but what does the hivemind say. Also, how good/useful is Interstellar Wars?
Old 08-06-2015, 04:08 AM   #2
weby

Default Re: Most Useful GURPS Traveller Books from a GURPS Point of View

Overall I have enjoyed most of the Gurps Traveller line(The rules just kind of make mostly sense mostly, specially when compared to something like classic traveller)

Though the books are mustly useful if you do indeed run Traveller or something close to it also of note is that the actual rules bits are 3rd edition for most of the books.

Over the years I have found use for the books in other uses besides travller too as I have never actually run a GURPS traveller game(too many other genres to run to run everything)

Some notes where I have found them nice:
-Ground forces: The modular grav vehicle rules: though they are now bit obsolete because they are third edition so the end result needs to get 4th edition stats.
-Star Mercs: The simplified ground combat system is still used today by me.
-Starports: There is a lot of "how starports work" and "what all things are likely found on starports" material that I have used a lot in other scifi games.
-Planetary surveys: I have used several of them as places in other scifi campaigns.

As for running Traveller one day: Interstellar wars is the book to get, it is in many ways the "4th edition traveller core book" as it contains things like the 4th edition version of the modular ship building system found in the core book.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #3
trooper6

I ran an ISW campaign and loved it...as did my players. I highly recommend that book!
trooper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:55 PM   #4
chandley

Both of my physical copies of Gurps 3e Traveller - Far Trader fell apart from overuse. I treasure my PDF copy.

Interstellar Wars for 4e contains a stripped down and/or streamlined version of the 3E Far Trader system, if you are looking to keep number of books low.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
ULFGARD

Back in '06, I ran a game that drew quite heavily from Traveller. I've gotten quite a bit of mileage out of Far Trader and First In myself. I'm also using the aliens books as a starting point for a game I'm about to start. The detailed write-ups are great and allow for easy conversion.

I also see that Starports was already mentioned. It's full of great ideas for starports in any sci-fi game.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #6
trooper6

I just got pdf versions of all the G:T books I didn't have yet.

The last long campaign I ran was a very successful GT:ISW campaign. I didn't get all of the G:T books because they were a) a different time period and b) 3e. But if they are no longer going to be available, I'm going to want the resources. Because I'll probably want to run another Far Trader game in the future.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:00 PM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I heard Starports and First In have interesting rules, but what does the hivemind say. Also, how good/useful is Interstellar Wars?
Starports never interested me very much. First In is a good book but largely redundant with GURPS Space for 4th edition. I'd probably pick Far Trader for being both useful and lacking a ready alternative.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Starports never interested me very much. First In is a good book but largely redundant with GURPS Space for 4th edition. I'd probably pick Far Trader for being both useful and lacking a ready alternative.
Wouldn't the alternatives for Far Trader be either a) The trade system in GT:ISW or b) the Trade system in Spaceships 2: Traders, Liners, and Transports?
Old 08-06-2015, 05:59 PM   #9
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper6 View Post
Wouldn't the alternatives for Far Trader be either a) The trade system in GT:ISW or b) the Trade system in Spaceships 2: Traders, Liners, and Transports?
The first is another GT product. The second is extremely minimalist.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:11 PM   #10
trooper6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The first is another GT product. The second is extremely minimalist.
It seemed to me that Spaceships basically mirrored the content in GT:ISW pretty exactly. So, if GT:ISW's trade system was good enough for you, then you could get by with just Spaceships 2.

Of course, since all of the Traveller books are going away...get them all!

Tags
traveller