Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #61
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Predatory insects have more 'awareness' than NUs. NU's are automata. Their behavior can be fairly complicated if the situation has an answer in their programming, but that's all they can do. That's why the Z-minds rarely field NUs without either remote control or AU supervision.

Now, the AU killbots are quite a different story.
If they lack Indecisiveness then we can assume they are programmed with adequate decision trees especially for stuff that normally requires IQ 1.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:45 PM   #62
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Not by default. The basic default RoS has no magic, superpowers, or psi, though it notes that there are ways those can be introduced, and cautions against introducing the ones that can turn into a curbstomp defeat for the robots.
Ignoring the OP's specific scenario in favor of a purist approach seems less useful.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #63
kdtipa
 
kdtipa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Southern New Hampshire
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Not by default. The basic default RoS has no magic, superpowers, or psi...
I think there's a post... there it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomerang View Post
In our current campaign one of the characters is a gadgeteer within a team of superheroes, so ideas can be as realistic or crazy as you like.
I think the original poster is running a combo RoS and Supers campaign.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #64
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdtipa View Post
I think there's a post... there it is...



I think the original poster is running a combo RoS and Supers campaign.
Fair enough, I misread your point.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:02 PM   #65
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
If they lack Indecisiveness then we can assume they are programmed with adequate decision trees especially for stuff that normally requires IQ 1.
Sure...to the degree the programmers (i.e. the Z-minds and AUs) could foresee such things. You can't trick an NU with trivial things, or a Kirk speech. But if you force/trick it into a situation not covered by its previous programming, it's fully possible it'll do something self-destructively stupid because that's all it's programming covers. But the NUs are only safe from being tricked by exploiting their mindless nature if their programmers could make battle plans that survive contact with the enemy.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:04 PM   #66
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Sure...to the degree the programmers (i.e. the Z-minds and AUs) could foresee such things. You can't trick an NU with trivial things, or a Kirk speech. But if you force/trick it into a situation not covered by its previous programming, it's fully possible it'll do something self-destructively stupid because that's all it's programming covers.
Two humans running in opposite directions seems trivial to me. It might not be trivial to the Keystone Kops but that is probably a major tone-shift for RoS.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:05 PM   #67
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Two humans running in opposite directions seems trivial to me. It might not be trivial to the Keystone Kops but that is probably a major tone-shift for RoS.
Nobody said anything about 2 humans running in opposite directions that I saw.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:11 PM   #68
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
Nobody said anything about 2 humans running in opposite directions that I saw.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starslayer View Post
Humans can therefore jam dumbot hunter and have two targets of equal importance separate away from it, leaving it paralyzed with indecision
This is the example Anthony was characterizing as "cinematically dumb" and which I pointed out is something that IQ 1 insects can handle fine, and therefore is the example you appear to be defending.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #69
Johnny1A.2
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
This is the example Anthony was characterizing as "cinematically dumb" and which I pointed out is something that IQ 1 insects can handle fine, and therefore is the example you appear to be defending.
I wasn't defending that one. I was defending the point that the robots are not as intelligent as humans on average.
__________________
HMS Overflow-For conversations off topic here.
Johnny1A.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:56 PM   #70
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Ideas for Anti Robot Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny1A.2 View Post
I wasn't defending that one. I was defending the point that the robots are not as intelligent as humans on average.
I don't think anyone was arguing that an IQ < 10 robot isn't less intelligent than a human on average; this is a truism.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
anti, reign of steel, robots, technology

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.