Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-29-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Edges

Default [Powers] Abilities at Default limitations

On Powers pg 173, it says that abilities used at default need to share the starting ability's usage limitations. It then refers to some Limitations as examples.

Does this also apply to the inherent limitations of the ability?

Examples:
Illusion has an inherent area of effect. If using Illusion to attempt a default Elastic skin advantage, does the subject need to be in the area?

Control has an inherent area of effect. Can Control Fire be used to throw a default Innate Attack fireball beyond the area?

Mind Control use has penalties for each person already under control. If one were using Mind Control to attempt a default Affliction do they suffer the penalties?

If any cases have a "yes" answer, can one add enhancements to remove these limitations? Can one use Temporary Enhancements from Powers 172 (and if so, is the FP cost 5)?
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #2
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: [Powers] Abilities at Default limitations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edges View Post
On Powers pg 173, it says that abilities used at default need to share the starting ability's usage limitations. It then refers to some Limitations as examples.

Does this also apply to the inherent limitations of the ability?

Examples:
Illusion has an inherent area of effect. If using Illusion to attempt a default Elastic skin advantage, does the subject need to be in the area?
No, it specifically refers to Limitations you have put on the ability (and are accessible/time/ or per use based). Generally it can only be as available or accessible as the original.

Also I'll note, Elastic Skin isn't an ability that affects others... I assume you then mean an affliction with that Advantage as an Added Advantage enhancement.
Quote:
Control has an inherent area of effect. Can Control Fire be used to throw a default Innate Attack fireball beyond the area?
Sure, if your GM is letting you use Innate Attack as a default, it will follow the normal rules for IA
Quote:
Mind Control use has penalties for each person already under control. If one were using Mind Control to attempt a default Affliction do they suffer the penalties?
Clearly the default use is Using the ability. I would say you suffer whatever penalties apply for multiple concurrent uses.
Quote:
If any cases have a "yes" answer, can one add enhancements to remove these limitations? Can one use Temporary Enhancements from Powers 172 (and if so, is the FP cost 5)?
Penalties for multiple concurrent uses or inherent Advantage restrictions can be bought off using enhancements on the default ability, sure. Usage limitations and Power Modifiers cannot be removed this way.
the_matrix_walker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:14 PM   #3
PK

The intent of that rule is that if you have something like Limited Use (4 shots) on your Binding, then switching it to Innate Attack still counts as a shot -- it retains the Limited Use. Or if you have Unreliable on your main power, then of course any default power will be Unreliable. A power that requires sunlight to use continues to do so when you default it. And so on.

Basically, everything that you added to make your main power harder to use, more limited, etc., carries through to hamper your defaulted power. Keep that spirit in mind when interpreting what happens when you radically switch advantages via defaulting.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

I'll just echo others . . . My intention was to make clear that you couldn't save a boatload of points with added limitations and then ignore them by proclaiming, "But this isn't the same ability!" If you add a limitation to save points, then that's a drawback you have to live with even if you use your ability in some off-label way. However, the advantages at the core of a known ability and those that underlie a default one are expected to differ, and their innate oddities don't transfer.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:57 AM   #5
Edges

Great!

Thanks all.
Edges is offline   Reply With Quote