Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 12-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Chris Rice

Default What simple accessories I'd like for TFT...

Played a few games over the last few days. Things I feel are missing and would help the game play more smoothly:

Counters for 2 hex creatures; horses, large bears, big lizards etc.

Status counters for -2DX, -3DX Crossbow reloading. Perhaps also for figures who've moved over half MA?

Oh, and I really want a TFT branded foldable dice mat. I have nice ones for The Black Hack and D&D.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #2
Skarg

Default Re: What simple accessories I'd like for TFT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Played a few games over the last few days. Things I feel are missing and would help the game play more smoothly:

Yeah, 2-hex counters top my list, in PDF so I can print them at original scale.
Top=down horses, oxen, 2-hex bears, mules/donkeys, yaks, camels, riding lizards (and 3+ hex saurians, and 1-hex walker lizards), small dragons, gryphons, lions, tigers, jaguars, crocodiles...

And cart and wagon counters of various sizes and designs.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
larsdangly

This game has a lot of physical components that I enjoy and would be happy to buy more of (battle mats; megahexes), but the thing we need are the 2 hex counters. I'd say at this point the highest priority next product might be a monster manual that comes with a couple sheets of new markers, focusing on things that are not represented in previous products.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:39 PM   #4
hcobb

How about riding animals for Goblins like Megahex spiders?
Old 12-13-2019, 01:14 PM   #5
Shostak

The coolest single counter I can think of is the articulated dragon. A 7+ hex dragon should be able to move half of its body one direction or the other. You can make one at home, but an official counter would be fabulous.

While wer're talking about counters, I'll opine that the skull and crossbones should be dropped from the back of the figure counters in favor of an obviously dead figure. While this admittedly drives up the number (and thus cost) of illustrations, the clarity of the battlefield is greatly aided.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 10:14 PM   #6
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
The coolest single counter I can think of is the articulated dragon. A 7+ hex dragon should be able to move half of its body one direction or the other. You can make one at home, but an official counter would be fabulous.

While wer're talking about counters, I'll opine that the skull and crossbones should be dropped from the back of the figure counters in favor of an obviously dead figure. While this admittedly drives up the number (and thus cost) of illustrations, the clarity of the battlefield is greatly aided.
Yeah, an articulated 7-hex dragon would be great.

And I also agree about the skull & crossbones. I wouldn't want to slow down counter production by requiring a dead version of the front art, but a body outline would make more sense than skull & crossbones, as figures can be unconscious or just in HTH or lying down or kneeling, and flipping them over used to work for that with blank counters, but gives the wrong message if they've got bones on them.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 03:22 AM   #7
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

And I also agree about the skull & crossbones. I wouldn't want to slow down counter production by requiring a dead version of the front art, but a body outline would make more sense than skull & crossbones, as figures can be unconscious or just in HTH or lying down or kneeling, and flipping them over used to work for that with blank counters, but gives the wrong message if they've got bones on them.
I'm of the opposite opinion. I think that art depicting body outlines would muddy the battlefield, whereas a skull and crossbones is a very clear indication of a corpse. There are already "prone" status counters for other conditions.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:26 AM   #8
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post

It's strange that you mention that. My last battle was four characters against a 7-hex Dragon on the Melee playmat. It was actually quite awkward to move a rigid counter of that size on the map. In the end I had to assume the dragon could have one or two hexes of its body "off map" if required to account for its flexibility.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:52 AM   #9
ParadoxGames

Quote:

Status counters for -2DX, -3DX Crossbow reloading. Perhaps also for figures who've moved over half MA?
and

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
How about riding animals for Goblins like Megahex spiders?
Everyone wants horses. I did post one printable horse for TFT use elsewhere, somewhere, in the forum. Here's one here. Print at 100% for Classic Scale, 133% for Legacy Scale. (I guess I coined new TFT terminology?)

https://media.discordapp.net/attachm...56/unknown.png

I also made status counters for 1) HP, and 2) position (standing, prone, kneeling, picking up, unconscious & dead), and ones for -DX and such are not much harder. I've ssen requests for these and might just make some.

Curious that HCobb mentioned megahex spiders, as I made one of those last week, too.

Last edited by ParadoxGames; 12-14-2019 at 04:36 AM.
ParadoxGames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:40 AM   #10
Shostak

Quote:
I'm of the opposite opinion. I think that art depicting body outlines would muddy the battlefield, whereas a skull and crossbones is a very clear indication of a corpse.
Or the presence of pirates or poison. ;)

I can deal with the skull-and-crossbones design, but every single TFT newcomer I've played with has been utterly confused--even those with ample tabletop RPG experience; they've thought each was a literal pile of bones. I've printed up a bunch of cadaver counters from one of the Cardboard Heroes sets, which work fine, but they lack the convenience of just flipping the counter.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote