Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 06-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #11
HeatDeath

Default Re: Mountains, hills & gullies?

I'm of a mind that mountains should have a negative defensive bonus.

With the strength of the ordinance being thrown around in Ogre, if you're a few hundred feet up a steep slope, a lot of near misses that would have only mildly inconvenienced you on flat land will drop a landslide on you, or knock the hillside out from underneath you.

Not to mention that unless you're very careful, you'll skyline yourself and be that much easier to target.

I would say D's count as X's, at the very least.
HeatDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 04:55 AM   #12
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatDeath View Post
I'm of a mind that mountains should have a negative defensive bonus.

With the strength of the ordinance being thrown around in Ogre, if you're a few hundred feet up a steep slope, a lot of near misses that would have only mildly inconvenienced you on flat land will drop a landslide on you, or knock the hillside out from underneath you.

Not to mention that unless you're very careful, you'll skyline yourself and be that much easier to target.

I would say D's count as X's, at the very least.
I'lll try testing that idea as well
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:18 AM   #13
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
In addition to a full hex Mountain, I'd like to also see hex-side Mountains.

<snip>

Scale and size wise, I think these would be much smaller than what would span the distance of a full hex in OGRE. That's Grand Canyon sort of size and we already have Ridges that can be used to represent that sort of terrain. .
Interesting but I'm focusing only on full hex mountains and hilly terrain because I'm mapping a specific geography for gameplay. Also isn't a canyon just a bunch of craters game play wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
Hills make sense. I presume it's effectively swamp without the defensive bonus for infantry?
I'm undecided now on on this, I like the idea of the defensive bonus but I get the point you and HeatDeath made as well about mountains.
Old 06-02-2018, 10:33 AM   #14
Izzy_B

I have an idea for a compromise between the chance that large weapons targeting infantry in hills could cause a landslide and the idea that mountains provide a defense bonus.

If a non infantry unit attacks infantry in a mountain hex, if the result of the attack is anything other than NE, roll one die to determine if a landslide occurs (what odds?)

OR to eliminate the extra die roll

Attacks by non infantry units against infantry in a mountain hex get +2 due to the chance of causing a landslide, but infantry in a mountain hex get a 3X defensive bonus.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:26 AM   #15
offsides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
I have an idea for a compromise between the chance that large weapons targeting infantry in hills could cause a landslide and the idea that mountains provide a defense bonus.

If a non infantry unit attacks infantry in a mountain hex, if the result of the attack is anything other than NE, roll one die to determine if a landslide occurs (what odds?)

OR to eliminate the extra die roll

Attacks by non infantry units against infantry in a mountain hex get +2 due to the chance of causing a landslide, but infantry in a mountain hex get a 3X defensive bonus.
There's already a mechanism for attacks against terrain. Just assign mountain hexes a D value and have it take spillover fire (or a direct attack, if you wish). The only question is what is the effect of D and X results...
Joshua Megerman, SJGames MIB #5273 - Ogre AI Testing Division
offsides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:40 AM   #16
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
There's already a mechanism for attacks against terrain. Just assign mountain hexes a D value and have it take spillover fire (or a direct attack, if you wish). The only question is what is the effect of D and X results...
I like that approach...might not hurt to also shamelessly borrow from the rules about taking fire while on a bridge with the ramming rules. What about this?

Quote:
?.??.? Rockslides:
When a Mountain hex is attacked, either due to a direct attack or spillover fire, a Rockslide may occur.

On a D result, units on the mountain make an immediate "disabled by terrain" roll. Count the Mountain hex as Rubble for purposes of this roll.

On an X result, non-Ogre units are subject to a Ram attack, even when Spillover rules are in effect. Roll 1 die: On a 1-3, the unit is Disabled (infantry is reduced by 1 squad). On a 4-6, the unit is Destroyed. Ogres take 2 points of Tread damage instead.
Edit: I should have remembered that in the initial proposition that Mountains are an infantry-only terrain. The above works on the assumption that Mountains are only off-limits to Wheeled vehicles and possibly Hover vehicles.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/

Last edited by TheAmishStig; 06-05-2018 at 10:40 AM.
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 04:49 AM   #17
Izzy_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
If I read that right, its more of a "Those pesky infantry are up there somewhere but I dont know where so I'll just target the mountain itself in hopes of getting them with the resulting damage". Effectively my second recent idea already accounts for that by giving +2 attack to account for the chance of doing damage by landslide while at the same tie the defensive bonus to the infantry takes care of the "I dont know where they are exactly" part.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy_B View Post
If I read that right, its more of a "Those pesky infantry are up there somewhere but I dont know where so I'll just target the mountain itself in hopes of getting them with the resulting damage". Effectively my second recent idea already accounts for that by giving +2 attack to account for the chance of doing damage by landslide while at the same tie the defensive bonus to the infantry takes care of the "I dont know where they are exactly" part.
+2 attack is effectively quadroupling firepower. It's quite a gift.

What you're describing sounds like spill-over. Maybe for the terrain type spill-over strength is not divided by 2 because the INF are so exposed.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote